Author Topic: Goose Call Guts/Inserts and Mandrel/bushing sizes  (Read 3037 times)

ancwoodturnings

Goose Call Guts/Inserts and Mandrel/bushing sizes
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
hey guys i had asked yesterday what goose call guts are the best, but i am kind of curious on what bushings or drillbit holes you would need to work with these guts.

also, could you  help me out on some good goose call inserts as well, and what bushings or mandrels to use with these?

BLKDOGS

Re: Goose Call Guts/Inserts and Mandrel/bushing sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
I have a picture somewhere but cant find it right know. But I have been drilling my inserts  that are about 2 1/4" long   1" deep with a 11/16 dia bit the finishing with a 5/8" dia bit the rest of the insert.  I take a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and turn down the OD to fit snuggly in the 11/16" dia hole and epoxy it in there. Then I hand file it out to the .519 with a file I have maked just so a goose gut will fit in real nice.
The PVC lining will keep the wood insert from Cracking with the presure of the guts.  the tenon on my insert if 7/8"OD. I like this becuase I thing the inserts you buy are ugly when you take a call apart.

Hope this helps

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Goose Call Guts/Inserts and Mandrel/bushing sizes
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »
You can make a good goose call with a 5/8" expanding mandrel, 5/8" bit, a 3/4" bit and a 7/8" bit.
There are no easy answers.  Spend hours reading here, reading the tutorials and posts.  Then plan to build dozens of barrel and insert combinations and configurations until you find what you're after.  If you get it done after a few dozen tries, consider it a success.