Author Topic: need help with a question on bands  (Read 1125 times)

Offline jayson.g

• New Forum Member
  • custom call maker
need help with a question on bands
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »
Hey guys I have a question that I figure you all can help me out with. I volunteered to donate a call to our big hunting expo in utah to be raffled off. Well I got sent to Florida for a week and didn't have time to make a barrel to send to Ron to be engraved in time so I sent one that I already had made. Well ron engraved the barrel but I didn't know that he can't engrave on a plain aluminum band I had already put on it. So he made a seperate band for me to switch out but I've already hooked the one on with jb weld. So my question is: is there any way to break the jb weld without damaging the barrel?  Its made out of spectra ply with 3 grooves to help the jb hold. I would really love to be able to switch to this other band but I don't want to risk damaging the barrel at all. It looks way to good and there isn't any way I could make another and have it done in time to send it off and get it back in time. Is there anything I can soak it in to break up the jb weld or am I better off just leaving the plain band on it?  Thank you guys in advance for your help.

Offline Josh Michaelis

• New Forum Member
  • Big Show Game Calls
    • Big Show Game Calls
Re: need help with a question on bands
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
You may be able to put some heat to it............carefully

Offline Truly Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Truly Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »
I've put it back on the lathe before and spun the barrel and cut the band off. The band gets real hot and it will start to melt the jb weld. I then grab the band with a leather glove and twist it off. Caution because it gets real hot!!!! 

The only thing I'm not sure about is doing it on a spectraply barrel. Might effect the glue in the lamination and mess it up.
Custom Waterfowl, Deer, and Predator Calls
Bring'em with Style
www.trulycustomcalls.com

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
I would freeze it for a day and then try and crank on it. Or freeze call and put some heat on the band. If you were to try and turn it off with spectraply, my guess is that it would burn the wood..

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
I have had to take a couple bands off before. You can put it on your mandrel and use some sandpaper to sand just the band. You want the band to get pretty hot while sanding. I would say 320 or 400 works good. Once it gets good and hot you should be able to use a pair of pliers on the band and hold the call with the mandrel. Twist it right off. As long as you do not hit the call with the sandpaper while it is spinning it should be in good shape for the new band without any other work.

August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/