Author Topic: How I make a turkey pot call  (Read 67434 times)

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
How I make a turkey pot call
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
Here is how I make my favorite style of pot calls. There are lots of ways to do it but this happens to be my favorite. First pic is of all the tools I use. Not all are necessary but I've found this works best for me. Pictured is far left orbital hand held sander with hook and loop sanding disks 80,120,150,220,320,400. Up top is square with pencil and spring loaded center punch. Next to it is PSI 4 jaw chuck this get used for the intire process which is why I like doing my calls this way....no changing different jaws and I'm also not a huge fan of the center hole commonly used in making pot calls. Below that is 3/4" bit used for holding pot on jaw and 1/2" bit for sound holes. Calipers and finally my easy wood tools and a small parting tool.

Next step I use square and pencil and find corners. I use square simply because there is no such thing as a perfectly square 1"x4"x4" pot call blank which is what I'm using. I've found that using the center findering tools sometimes won't get ya a perfect center if the blank is not perfectly square. Agian this is just how I do it and if ya have center finder and it works for ya by all means use it.

Next I use center punch and get my center hole.

I then use calipers to find my measurements for the remaining 4 holes note the calipers is not exactly 4.0" nor were the other 3 sides. This method insures you get the holes exactly square.

Here is the next pic with my 4.027" side and exactly in the center. I then make my marks on all 4 sides and draw lines across to get my remaining lines needed for hole placement.

This is how it should look with all sides lined up square. Note lines are running through center punch hole. This will be outcome every time using this method. It is a lot of extra steps but insures a perfectly lined up call ready for sound holes.

Next I use calipers again and measure for the sound holes. This step you can vary the measurement to whatever dimensions you wish. I'm using 1" and ill be using a 1/2" bit for holes but you can use any size bit for your sound holes just take into consideration the diameter of bit in relation to final size of pot call...meaning if your gonna use say 3/4" and your hole is 1.5" from center your going to be extremly close to edge of call when turning round.

I then use calipers as a kinda protractor leaving the sharp point in center hole and make a circle to mark placement of sound holes I've highlighted the mark with pencil so you can see the ring it leaves

Now that I have my marks I use center punch again on the 8 hole marks and proceed to drill holes on those marks

I first drill center hole which is 3/4" approximately .17" thick using calipers

Next I drill sound holes .35"

I then use band saw and cut off 1/4" the corners to make it a little easier getting it round on lathe

Now I've got it on the chuck and and ready to turn round!

Now I have pot call turn round I will square up the face end and I do the inside of pot and pedastal... I turn and sand on speed 5 of my delta lathe which is 2650rpm. My measurements for this calls insides are .125" for the edge of plain surface to sit on..which is ceramic for this call and this measurement will vary from call to call based on thickness of playing surface. My next measurement is from edge to bottom of call which is .58" and finally the pedastal height is .37"

Next I flip the call over and use the same jaws to hold the pedastal and shape my call. NOTE make sure everything on the inside of call is fit up and good to your specifications as this will be the last time the inside will be able to be accessed.

Here is a picture of call shaped before sanding

Next is a picture of the orbital hand held sander. I will use all grits listed previously and then use 0000 steel wool by hand to finish sanding.

Here is what it should look like once you have been through all the grits on sander and after hand sanded 0000 steel wool

You can now apply your favorite finish to your call. I then glue up the sound board with goop and let set over night on a flat surface. Once it's dry you do the same for whatever playing surface your using and call is now complete! Hope this help someone in the future!! Be safe in your shop and good luck!!!

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
Re: How I make a turkey pot call
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Excellent Mac!
Thanks for taking the time to do such a nice tutorial!  :bigup: :thanks:
Doug

archerykid13

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
That's a really good way to lay out those holes! I think I'm going to borrow that from you haha!! How does using the orbital sander to sand the back work for you? I bet it really takes off some wood!

Jake

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
That's a really good way to lay out those holes! I think I'm going to borrow that from you haha!! How does using the orbital sander to sand the back work for you? I bet it really takes off some wood!

Jake

Jake it works very well I keep the lathe on while using the powered sander. It makes sanding very effective and makes quick work of call. I don't bother sanding inside call simply because nobody see's it and I use sharp tools and that is key if your not sanding the inside...you can if you want though sand the inside.

archerykid13

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
Are you able to sand the sides of the call with the sander? Or can you not because of the closeness of your chuck? Also, what orbital sander is that? I bet it does make really quick work of the call! I wonder how it would work at 750 rpm or so>

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
Very interesting pedistal Mac!  Looks like that call design would leave some great room for some art work!

Thanks for sharing this. And thanks for the details!

Mac's calls are really THAT smooth guys!  After holding a clear acrylic grunt call from the guy, I know he is crazy about details!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
Are you able to sand the sides of the call with the sander? Or can you not because of the closeness of your chuck? Also, what orbital sander is that? I bet it does make really quick work of the call! I wonder how it would work at 750 rpm or so>

Jake the top side is hard to get sander in between chuck and call. What I usually do is use the pads once I take them off sander and get in between using each 1. Then use the steel wool aswell. As far as the sanding speed the 2650 rpm of the lathe works well for me but I'm certain you could use 750. The sander is a worksite brand model #ED118 it is 3/8" close angle sander with 0-1400 rpm also accepts the hook and loop style sanding head.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »
Mac, what an awesome tutorial!!!  Thank you for sharing it with us.  It'll help a lot of new callmakers out for sure, and I'm betting more than a few guys that have been doing it for a while will see an idea or two in there that they can implement into their own methods.

:thanks:

archerykid13

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »

Jake the top side is hard to get sander in between chuck and call. What I usually do is use the pads once I take them off sander and get in between using each 1. Then use the steel wool aswell. As far as the sanding speed the 2650 rpm of the lathe works well for me but I'm certain you could use 750. The sander is a worksite brand model #ED118 it is 3/8" close angle sander with 0-1400 rpm also accepts the hook and loop style sanding head.

I'll have to try that out sometime! Thanks for the details on that Mac!!

Callen

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
A lot of good info there! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'll definitely be grabbing a few techniques for the next time I try a pot.   :thanks:

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
A pot call takes me approximately 1 hr to make this way depending on the finish of course and of course glue up of call pieces. I wish I could have done the tutorial write up that fast... I did the whole thing on my iPhone cause I was to lazy to go and get the good camera and didn't wanna have to use the computer so each photo I took I added to write up instantly. Took me about 4 hrs doing it on my cell phone  :stickman1: but worth it as long as guys learn from it and maybe use some of the ideas.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
Good looking tutorial. Thanks for putting that together. Lots of folks will find that to be a great method. Eveyone can find something in there for sure.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Marshall's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
This is great! I am trying to get the guts to start my first pot call and this is brilliant!  :thanks:
David Marshall, of Marshall's Custom Calls

Offline RhueTalk

• New Forum Member
    • Rhue Talk Waterfowl Weapons
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
how are you holding the blank on the jaw chuck to round it off?

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
how are you holding the blank on the jaw chuck to round it off?

The 4 jaw pin chuck goes into the 3/4" hole approximately .17" and expands and holds it. I haven't had 1 come off yet and not saying it won't or couldnt but I've probely done 40 or so this way.