Author Topic: "O" Ring Grooves  (Read 7218 times)

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
"O" Ring Grooves
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »
Hey guys. I've put a couple calls together and have went with a 1' tennon & have been cutting (2) "O" ring grooves.  I actually think I could get away with (1) "O" ring and go may 3/4 tennon. 

What do you guys recommend for cutting the "O" ring grooves?  I've seen little special (maybe homemade) tools being used on Youtube. 

One more thing?  I cut my tennon to fit a 3/4 bored mouth piece.  Have any of you had any issues with your tennons cracking over time?

Thanks again guys.

Mike
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight

Offline RedemptionCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: "O" Ring Grooves
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:47:59 AM »
I personally find that using a 1/8 inch parting tool works perfect. Use the sides of the V in the tool if you know what I mean. Orings fit great in it.

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:29 AM »
I personally find that using a 1/8 inch parting tool works perfect. Use the sides of the V in the tool if you know what I mean. Orings fit great in it.

I will give that a try thank you!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:31 AM »
Yea I just checked my turning tools and I do not have a 1/8 parting tool.  I'll have to get one though because that looks like a good fit, thank you..

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »
I like the 1/16 parter that PSI has.

I prefer two rings. That way you can make the difference between the two parts be a size to where the finish between the two never becomes an issue, and you still have a great fit all the way down the tennon.

Easy home made tools can be made by grinding down a flat blade screw driver, or a worn out spade bit.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
I like the 1/16 parter that PSI has.

I prefer two rings. That way you can make the difference between the two parts be a size to where the finish between the two never becomes an issue, and you still have a great fit all the way down the tennon.

Easy home made tools can be made by grinding down a flat blade screw driver, or a worn out spade bit.

Vince

X2

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »
I mill my own gutserts from pvc schedule 40 pipe for my flutes and short-reeds.  I use two o-rings for the flute and only one for the short-reeds.  I find that using just one o-ring works just fine, but I may go to using two in the future.  I made my own o-ring cutting tool from a worn 6" flat mill bastard file.  It looks like a regular parting chisel at 1/16" thick except it has a rounded tip.  Works perfect and stays sharp.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
Thank you for all the ideas guys.....

Brad Robinson

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
I mill my own gutserts from pvc schedule 40 pipe for my flutes and short-reeds.  I use two o-rings for the flute and only one for the short-reeds.  I find that using just one o-ring works just fine, but I may go to using two in the future.  I made my own o-ring cutting tool from a worn 6" flat mill bastard file.  It looks like a regular parting chisel at 1/16" thick except it has a rounded tip.  Works perfect and stays sharp.
I turned a file into a 1/16 " parting tool as well. works great for o rings and making grooves in brass bands.
I had tennons crack as well. Im not sure if it was to tight a fit with the guts or not. Ive tried other options with tennon inserts. i have used delrin and now for the most part i use acrylic for stoppers instead of wood. I just like the looks of them and since i started making my calls this way i havent had any tennon cracking issues. Whenever i get an order for a antler stopper i use a delrin tennon. Grooved and glued with  west systems marine epoxy and  thickener.

BLKDOGS

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »
I picked up a old used set of tools  and ground my own O-ring tool.    The set cost me $35 at a auction came with a shop smith unit sold the shop smith to a neighbor for $35 and i got the turning tools    :bigup:

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
Mine is a ground down old spade bit.  Looks like a mini parting tool on the end. 
Wood tenons on a goose call will crack if you don't reinforce them somehow.  There are some forum sponsors that sell gut inserts or you can make your own.  I use schedule 80 PVC.  Turn down a glue surface and cut oring grooves.  I've also seen people use thread and epoxy, similar to fishing rod wrapping, to reinforce it.

Joe I'd there a specific reason you use schedule 40 instead of 80?  80 is just what I happened to find in the right size.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
1/16 parting tool for sure.  I tried the 1/8 on its side thing and it just didn't work for me.  $12 later and my 1/16 parting took is used on every grunt i  make.  Easy pleazy lemon squeezy

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Sure would like to see pictures of all these parting tools  :up1:

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
Here's mine.

Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »