Author Topic: Gooseforsupper is a good dude!  (Read 6093 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Gooseforsupper is a good dude!
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »
 :up1:  If there is one word for this guy, it is "passionate"!   :rockon:

If you ever get a chance to spend some time with Doug, I highly suggest it!  The guy is exciting, and full of knowledge. 

Doug brought a lot of great things to the table today at the Turn a Thon.  He taught me how to turn my own goose flute, NO holding back.  He also taught everyone how he goes about making his segmented calls step by step. 

I've never been around another call maker who has taught me new things all day long AND kept me laughing and chuckling and double-thinking all the way through. 

:gunsmilie:  Rock on Doug!   :gitrdone:  I'm ready for elk call lessons in the morning.   :gun_bandana: 

Vince

Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Gooseforsupper is a good dude!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »
Yep, Doug's enthusiasm permeates the entire group.  I mean, to watch a guy who is getting up there in years get childishly excited about squirrel calls was awesome, especially since squirrels are about as common as monkeys in the plains of Colorado!  Darn glad he and so many others made the trip.  I could go on but it is 12:43am and I just made Jon Riggle and Paul Kaelin leave so I can go to bed. 

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
Aaron, we're going to have to get a live feed next year for the guys that can't make the trip :2up:

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »
Aaron, we're going to have to get a live feed next year for the guys that can't make the trip :2up:

X2  :2up:

Bubba

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
I have to agree, Doug is the salt of the earth.  We held a goose calling seminar for the kids in my garage last year and Doug attended. He brought several calls, let the kids drool all over them, helped teach the kids to tune calls, and helped them learn basic notes.  He's been down to my shop before too tinkering and playing, and sharing a few frosty beverages.  If you get the chance to meet him, you'll love being around him.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Good times again today!  Be careful on your way home Doug!

Thanks for the Gooseforbrunch today too!  That was good stuff!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

BLKDOGS

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »
i have not yet met Doug face to Face but the info in detail that he has shared with in pivate messages  WOW  1st class all the way.

Bubba

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »

Thanks for the Gooseforbrunch today too!  That was good stuff!

Vince
Did he fix his signature goose kabobs?

Offline RhueTalk

• New Forum Member
    • Rhue Talk Waterfowl Weapons
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »
:up1: ......He taught me how to turn my own goose flute, NO holding back.  He also taught everyone how he goes about making his segmented calls step by step....

Vince

I would have given anything to see this lesson...he makes some sweet flutes.

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
In all the years of reading threads in which Doug gave great advice and shared his knowledge I knew he was a person I'd like to meet some day...and after having the privlage of meeting him in person this past weekend I found that he is not only a knowledgeable custom call maker but a joy to just visit with. :hysterical:  And an awesome grill cook.....the goose for lunch was awesome, I'll be using the recipe for sure.  Thanks Doug look forward to talking to ya soon.  Ron 
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed my time being around Doug. I am so glad he came. I learned a huge amount of things from him, and I was in stitches from laughing so hard from his stories. He was so generous with sharing everything he does. Doug is just good people.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
And Doug wasn't the only one.  I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Wayne, Lewis, Kitch, Mac, John K. and Chance too.  Wayne I'm not too sure that a Kansas boy can wear an Arkansas razorbacks hat, but it'll have a special place on my display shelf in the shop my friend.  As will that ridiculous gag gift duck call Kitch gave me, in addition to the nice one he made for me.  I scored a few new calls for the collection this weekend, and the ones I get from friends are the only ones I care to collect. 

Offline Longntooth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Passion, energy, compassion, humor, patience. Wish I had just a couple of these, and Doug has all of them. Enjoyed our time my friend. Kitch  :gitrdone:
Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting for your kids

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
Was a pleasure meeting you Doug, enjoyed the story's, I could have listing to them all day. Robert

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
You guys make me blush... :beer:  LOL!
I learned a long time ago to sieze the day.... :taz:
What a great time I had.  All the new call making friends, who now I know in person is priceless.  To all you helped me I'm in awe of the work I saw.  Now I have some hands on experience and new knowledge that will save me years of tinkering and making pretty firewood. 

Bigb, I'm going to grab my power carver and wack away, it was flat out awesome watching you carve.

Vince, sorry we didn't get to making an elk call, but ask away any time and we will figure it out.  I can't wait to make one of those big squirrel calls, that was probably the high point of my whole trip seeing that. :punk:

Aaron and Tammy, THANK YOU  :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:   First class event!  Aaron, when we first walked in I was impressed, the cleanest wood shop I have ever seen.  I hope you got a picture of before and after....  You must have worked your tail off getting it that clean. :bigup:

Ron, thanks so much for helping build a duck call toneboard and how to use my jig.  It took a lot of the mystery out of it and gave me confidence to go at it.. :bow:

Lewis, thanks for the cedar duck call, it's beautiful, and the white oak call I got in trade is classy!
Wayne, thanks for the stabilizing demo, I have a piece of that blue and green to play with.  :bigup:
Mac, thanks for splitting the room with me, it was great to meet you and learn about turkey hunting.
Kitch, Braz, Jon, Crawdad, and all the others that I can't remember all your names at the moment, it was a hoot to meet you all and share in all the fun! 

Getting together with people that share the same passion makes life great!  I'm glad I could be there.

All The Best!
Doug