Author Topic: If you haven't considered it...  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
If you haven't considered it...
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
If you haven't been before, or didn't think it was for you...Give some serious consideration to coming to the THO turn-a-thon in Kansas City later this month (two weeks from now to be exact).  It is a great event and you're 100% guaranteed to learn new ways of doing things, get inspired to be better, and make some great friends. 

I once invited a "big name" callmaker (nobody from this site) to the event and he said that it was pointless for him to go to something like that because he wouldn't learn anything.  Oh how wrong he is.  I don't care who you are or how long you've been doing it, someone in the group will likely inspire you or teach you something you don't know.   

If you don't think you'll fit in because you're new and/or don't know anybody, not so.  This will be the 3rd year for the event and each year we've had new guys that none of us knew.  The first year, few if any of us had ever met.  Last year we got Jeremy Powell on the lathe for the first time and look at him now.  If you just got started or are still relatively inexperienced, there's no better event that I can imagine for you to learn from other callmakers in a hands-on environment.  Everyone that is a THO site member is welcome, everyone participates. 

My best guess is that we will have at least 18 or 20 guys this year, hopefully more.  Plenty of room in the shop!

Think about it!!!!

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
Re: If you haven't considered it...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
Man I would like to go but have to work.  If I can plan way ahead next year ill make it a goal to make it.

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
I can't wait!!!!!! Me and gooseforsupper are sharing room so this is gonna be an experience that will I'm sure  cherish! Super excited bout learning new stuff especially from the duck and goose makers! Looking forward to meeting you Aaron see ya in 2 weeks!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
Tell you what has excited me the most.....very few of us knew each other that first year.  We spent the weekend together, and now its like we're old buddies.  Lots of guys I would have been scared to ask for personal advice, I'm dropping PM's and phone calls to them regularly to ask about questions I have had come up with tools, wood, etc.

It is very cool to spend real time with some other call makers, to see how alike and at the same how different, we all are. 

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Josh Michaelis

• New Forum Member
  • Big Show Game Calls
    • Big Show Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
I really wanted to come, but the North MO Coyote Calling Contest is the same weekend.  Sounds like a blast, and I PROMISE I could have learned a ton.  Hopefully next year. 

Offline Marshall's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
 I would love to go but I'm not allowed to travel that far alone. Wish I was older  :wacko:
David Marshall, of Marshall's Custom Calls

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
I would love to go but that is still during duck and goose season here in Texas.  I am headed to the coast for a 2 day hunt next Wednesday and then come home Friday for 5 minutes to drop the boat, hook onto the flatbed and switch out Labradors.  Then it is off to the delta in Arkansas to shoot some green headed birds.  So Kansas City the week after that would be impossible.  Do you yall ever have a call rally when it is not duck season?  I would imagine yall would get more folks.

Offline tduff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »
I hadn't given it much thought, but I remember how much I wanted to come last year and wasn't able to. I haven't been too active most of this year because I had limited use of my right arm (pinched nerve). I had surgery on Sept. 25th and have been recovering since (Old guys don't recover quickly).

If things work out for me, I would love to come.

Troy

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:29:54 AM »
Come on down Troy!  I'm sure you would enjoy it!

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Josh Michaelis

• New Forum Member
  • Big Show Game Calls
    • Big Show Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »
I would love to go but that is still during duck and goose season here in Texas.  I am headed to the coast for a 2 day hunt next Wednesday and then come home Friday for 5 minutes to drop the boat, hook onto the flatbed and switch out Labradors.  Then it is off to the delta in Arkansas to shoot some green headed birds.  So Kansas City the week after that would be impossible.  Do you yall ever have a call rally when it is not duck season?  I would imagine yall would get more folks.

If you live somewhere normal its not duck season in late Jan  :hunter1:

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:36:39 AM »
Do you yall ever have a call rally when it is not duck season?  I would imagine yall would get more folks.

The weekend was originally picked because it is a holiday weekend for a lot of folks, and its 'off season' (cold weather) for family type events that get in the way of guys having to be dads and grandads.  I don't think it would matter what time of year we picked, its not going to work out for some folks.

I hope I don't sound too cheesy in saying this, but I really think this event is a life-long learning lesson that will pay dividends for years to come for anyone that attends and sticks with wood working.  I make it a priority to attend because of this. 

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »
Yep, I'm more than happy to skip a weekend of ice cold late season hunting for it.  Troy, I hope you can make it bud. 

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »
X2

Man I would like to go but have to work.  If I can plan way ahead next year ill make it a goal to make it.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »

If you live somewhere normal its not duck season in late Jan  :hunter1:

Well I live in a state that is home to more wintering ducks than any state in the nation.  I am headed to Arkansas that is on course with the best season in 80 years.  Have fun fellas!

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
Wish I could go. Would love to learn from some of you master call makers. Unfortunately I will be here making calls and trying to get caught up. I will be donating a box of goodies for you guys to mess with. Those who can make it, take advantage of this opportunity to learn and meet new friends that all have a common interest.