Author Topic: Trumpet????  (Read 8125 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Trumpet????
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »
Anybody have any information on making a turkey trumpet.  I know that this is almost a taboo territory for questions, I have worked out the mechanics of making one.  Now I need a little information on the internal drilling sizes.  I even have these pretty well figured out just need some confirmation of some sizes. 

Any help?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Trumpet????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
Since there are no answers how about a little tease on what I have as for as the making of the barrel.  I can do the outside of the barrel, now I need a little more info on the inside.  The bit sizes, distances drilled with each?  Anybody know them?  Anyone have any ideas as to what they are?

Marvin

This is a piece of cherry that I used to check out my method.  For those of you that turn pens, think of "turning between centers" with a live dead center and live center.  Had success 3 times in a row so the method is a good one.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:27:36 PM »
I wish I could help you but I have no clue.  I thought, or remember, that at one time you posted something from the US Patent Office on Trumpets and there were dimentions there.  Might be wrong but I seem to remember it.

If you had the dimentions, I would think it would not be hard to figure out the bits and depths to drill too.

If you want my honest opinion though, I dont think there is as much mystery to it as some let on.

Al @ THO

Bucko

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »
    I have a little info. for you dogcather as I am working on some trumpet calls now myself in the learning stage.I am baseing my work on a dozen years of useing the wingbone call.I made the wingbone a dozen yrs. ago froma young hen taken during the fall season.The hollow[hole] through the wingbone is not round but oval so I am useing the smallest measurements of the oval and converting over to dia.These measurements I am transfering over to only the mouthpiece.So far I have 7/64" for the end moving to 13/64" inward.I've included a pic. to give you an idea of length.I am keeping 5/8" OD. dia. down to 7/16"OD. at the narrow end. 

The length of the drill travel in the mouthpiece is just something you'll have to expierment with on your own;however my mouthpieces sound like the hen wingbone now and I don't believe the wooden extension will hinder the tone much if any.I've put in some overtime over the past week and am anxious to get back to working on these calls.Thanks once again to Al for the Delrin to play with now I can pass along some info. gained by that :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:39:46 PM by Bucko »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have the info on the mouth pieces.  I spent the money and bought a few trumpets.  All of the mouthpieces have a 3/32" diameter hole for the sound chamber.  They are all in the 2 3/4" to 3" in length, and inset into the call from 3/8" to 1/2".  The trumpet makers preach that there is only one "true" good sound.  All of these trumpets came from award winning trumpet makers, they all have a different tune.  So you can dismiss the myth that they have to have the one and only "true" sound.   That was something I already knew but if you listen to some callmakers you won't ever hear then admit it. 

I also have most of the basic sizes for drilling the inside or bore of the call body.  I will need to draw up some sort of "blueprint" and post a photo of it.   The slope or taper of the bore a little more complicated but a #1MT reamer is as close to the size as I can come up with.  But the that might be caused by sanding the bore and then the adding of finish which would reduce the size of the bore.  A lot of variables that I still need to come up with for the body.  The thickness of the wood that is left is also a big contributor to the final sound .  Thick walls will act as a muffler, just like on a car.

A lot of the mystery is really a smoke and mirror mystery show. 

Marvin

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »
 :D  Marvin, when you get this all figured out and post it up, you're going to get a bunch of trumpet makers WHIZZLED!   ;D   8)

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »
I am currently applying for the federal witness protection program, it will be posted after I am accepted.

Marvin

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 05:20:56 AM »
 ;D  Tell them you want to be known as Marvino.   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
Dogcatcher,You are right there is nothing to make a trumpet.I have made one that sounded so so.Made a second that sounded much better.If you just keep picking at it you will get it.I look at it like this anything anybody else can do I can do if I just try.