Author Topic: Grunt lanyards  (Read 20785 times)

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
Grunt lanyards
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Can some of you post pics of your handmade grunt call lanyards?

Thanks all.

Mike    :san4:
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Grunt lanyards
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
I just use Al's but would like to see some homemade one too!!

woodwzrd

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
Here are some lanyards that I have done. There single and multi drop lanyards all made out of 550 para cord. The pics aren't that great but you get the idea.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
As a hunting incident investigator, I've got to think about and see some pretty ugly and stupid things happening in the deer woods.

With that said, work through this one with me.......

If a deer hunter is 20 feet up in a tree, and due to their mistake of not checking their stand, not wearing a harness, etc, they fall.......you do not want them to be wearing a braided 550 cord lanyard around their neck that does not have a break-away on it that has an opportunity to catch a limb.

I love my Ozark Mountain Lanyards for duck hunting, predator hunting, etc, but you will not see me wearing 550 around my neck when I'm in a treestand.

I know I am being overly cautious, but more people are getting in a treestand every year due to the increasing popularity of bowhunting, and therefore, the number of treestand falls (very few are actually reported compared to what happen) goes up every year.

I would personally compare this to making a custom gobble call for turkey hunting customers.  It is just a bad idea. 

If you're going to make them out of 550 for deer hunters, put a plastic break-away in the design.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
Just to emphasize that you can't control the actions of others.......in 2011, I had two completely different customers try to shoot their bow at a buck while their full-size deer grunter was still on the lanyard, and in their mouth.  I'll let you picture how that went.  :D

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

woodwzrd

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
Just to emphasize that you can't control the actions of others.......in 2011, I had two completely different customers try to shoot their bow at a buck while their full-size deer grunter was still on the lanyard, and in their mouth.  I'll let you picture how that went.  :D

Vince

Wow, I just can't picture any way that could have come out good in the end.  :huh:

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »

Vince

Wow, I just can't picture any way that could have come out good in the end.  :huh:

Both of them contacted me because their lanyard broke, and their call went flying to never be seen again, and they wanted a new call.

I could not believe it was two different people.  Both of these incidents happened during the Missouri rut just prior to our gun season.

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
These are what I make, uses about 50 cents in paracord.  Tie a lanyard knot in the middle of 66" of paracord and 2 hangman's noose.  Takes about 2 minutes from cutting the paracord to finish time.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »

As a hunting incident investigator, I've got to think about and see some pretty ugly and stupid things happening in the deer woods.

With that said, work through this one with me.......

If a deer hunter is 20 feet up in a tree, and due to their mistake of not checking their stand, not wearing a harness, etc, they fall.......you do not want them to be wearing a braided 550 cord lanyard around their neck that does not have a break-away on it that has an opportunity to catch a limb.

I love my Ozark Mountain Lanyards for duck hunting, predator hunting, etc, but you will not see me wearing 550 around my neck when I'm in a treestand.

I know I am being overly cautious, but more people are getting in a treestand every year due to the increasing popularity of bowhunting, and therefore, the number of treestand falls (very few are actually reported compared to what happen) goes up every year.

I would personally compare this to making a custom gobble call for turkey hunting customers.  It is just a bad idea. 

If you're going to make them out of 550 for deer hunters, put a plastic break-away in the design.

Vince
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:55:58 PM by Mike Perkins »
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
I would love to see a tutorial on how you do that........

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
I'm super afraid of getting a lanyard caught in my bow string. I came up with a pretty slick rig that attaches to my binocular straps. I took some pictures but have to wait for the wife to finish with her homework before I can post them

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
This is what I use.  I tied noose knots on both ends of a piece of polly cord and then tied an over hand knot about 3" off center to form a loop.  Because the loop is off of center your grunter and bleat won't smack on each other.

I attach the lanyard to a plastic clip that looks like this.

This is how the clip attaches to the to bino strap.

This is how the calls hang when your standing.  ( When your sitting they land in your lap)

When you use the bleat or the grunter the clip will slide up the strap.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 02:23:56 AM »
Sweet setup Paul!  Lots of thought in that! 

I always wear a button down shirt on the outside, and keep a button undone to shove my grunter in.

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:48 AM »
These are what I make, uses about 50 cents in paracord.  Tie a lanyard knot in the middle of 66" of paracord and 2 hangman's noose.  Takes about 2 minutes from cutting the paracord to finish time.

Marvin

I like your idea the best....  I thnk it looks cool, and doesn't take all day!

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »

Marvin

Do you think you could put a tutorial together as to how you tie your noose and the other knot in up further on the lanyard...
'
Thanks

Mike