Author Topic: What doesn't yellow?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
What doesn't yellow?
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »
OK got a question for all you folks out there. I've been making up a new call lately but have one more step to do and that is where I need your help. The call I have been making has an embedded quarter in it, representing the state you live in. Here is an example for an Alaska collector.

OK now here is the question. I want to put something over the face of the quarter so it won't tarnish. But I don't want something that is going to yellow either. Would you just dip it in Poly? Do you think that would be the best way to go? So far I haven't done anything but want to do some thinking on the subject and with my old brain, I need all the help I can get.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: What doesn't yellow?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
I don't know if metal would have an effect on a dip or not but I do have a couple pure white antler calls here I dipped over a year ago with no hint of yellowing. They look the same as they did a year ago. It is a water based polycrylic. It dries in about 25 minutes.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:13:11 PM »
This may be right up your alley

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/mann_powdercoating.pdf

It is a tutorial on powder coating small items (pens in this case) and it looks lke it would work quite well for your application.  Your initial cost might be a bit much, 150 bucks or so, but the uses could be expanded to other items also. 

AL @ THO

Offline West Augusta

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
I would go with poly.
But then I poly everything.  It's easy to work with and easy to find.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
I'm not sure it would need anything Braz. Quarters are not real bad for oosing the luster unless they are banging around in a pocket of course. MAYbe a little crystal coat or wax????? Just my thoughts of course.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:58:52 PM »
Are you wanting to fill in the space and make it smooth across the top of the quarter? 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:11:01 PM »
No I dont' think so as it would just be a pain to try and do. I think the best way would probably be to just paint a coat of whatever on the coin itself. But what to paint on?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »

Clear fingernail polish??  Maybe??

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
Now that's one I hadn't thought of.
Braz

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »
If you are not going to fill it in I would use the wax method.  Quick easy, looks just as good as finish and doesn't chip.

If you just have to put a finish on it I would get some Flex Coat rod finish.  It doesn't yellow even if exposed to the sun 24/7.  It is a 2 part epoxy mix, expensive but the best.  First you need to clean the quarter, I would wipe it down with with acetone using a VERY clean lint free rag.  Let the acetone flash off and then coat just the top and sides of the coin.  You will need a clean area, with no dust floating around this stuff doesn't give you a second chance.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:27:13 AM »
There is that stuff they use on decopaige or the cypress clocks. It's a 2 part epoxy that ou mix and pour. VERY thick. It turns out like acrylic from what I have used. You can pick it up in small batches in the hobby stores for a few bucks. nlay your coin as you have done then pour this on. let it cure, 2-8 hours. Mount it back up and treat it as you wuld an acrylic for sanding then polishing. Just an idea though. Not sure how it would workout in the end. If you start to get bubbles in it, use a hairdrier to gently heat the epoxy and it will draw out and pop the bubbles.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com