Author Topic: Bone Inlay  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
Bone Inlay
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
I have a request to make a call for a old friend of mine for Christmas.  His nicname is Bones and I thought "what could be more fitting than a bone inlay"  I like the idea I am just not sure exactly how to go about it.  I have a couple of deer antlers that I was thinking of pulverizing into dust and then using it to fill the groove. I wish I had the tools to do a mouth piece but alas, at this time I do not, nor do I have an antler large enough.

Anyway back on subject.  Is there a tutorial on this or any other information. I have watched a few videos on bowls that are inlay-ed this way and it looks pretty good or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

Offline KBlankenship

• New Forum Member
  • Kevin at Vortex Waterfowl Calls
Re: Bone Inlay
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
What tools are you missing in order to be able to do the mouthpiece.  I can get you a piece of antler to do it with if you can come up with the tools. 

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
You can have the wood deeply laser engraved and fill the letters with the bone using CA glue.

Offline clriggs

• New Forum Member
  • DCF GAME CALLS
    • Duckcreekfarms
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »
 Here's a link to antler and wood glue up, I used the same  to make a few calls with and antler mouth piece. As far as tool's i used a round noe's scrapper tto turn the antler and wood.  never done an inlay, but seem's you could use a sharp parting tool and turn a grove in the call any width and depth you wanted then Like Aaron said use CA glue to fill it in with the crushed antler, just my idea any way
http://www.thogamecallsforums.com/Calls%20Posted/Antler_Glue_up_Tutorial.pdf
Chris Riggs
DCF Game Calls

woodwzrd

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »
This tube has antler inlay. I collected the drill shavings from some pen blanks that I drilled, cut a groove in the tube with a thin parting tool and then a little section at a time packed the pulverised antler into the groove and put thin CA on it. I use thin so it will soak through the antler and bond good with the wood. I make sure to build it up so it is proud of the surface by just a touch and then turn it down with a round nose scraper.

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
^^ That's sweet!!

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
K,  as for the mouth pieces, I am having to drill out my blanks a work at the moment with their drill press.   I dont have much access to it so I run back and do it on my lunch break when no one is using it.  I also would need a forstners bit to drill out a good flat hole. I have just about everything else, I think its more of an access problem and time. I have been looking at a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe to eliminate the need for the press. I think that would open me up to a lot of other opportunities.   I have a lot of old horns that would be big enough down at my parents where I hunt but only have mounts here, and I woudnt dare destroy them.. lol  I am just getting started so I dont have a bunch of things.. I am patient though and will collect what I need in due time.

As for the one that Final Strut posted... Yes!  that is exactly what I am wanting to achieve.  You hit the nail on the head. I think he would be please with a call inlaid like that. I think anyone would! 

Thanks guys for the replies and help!