Author Topic: Finally getting there!  (Read 12867 times)

Offline PintailWaterfowl

• New Forum Member
    • Pintail Waterfowl
Finally getting there!
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
My first matching barrel/insert set with 5/8' hole cast into the barrel.

I just need to swirl a bit more when pouring so they get more of a marble mix instead of so much half and half.

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Finally getting there!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
looks good though, I wouldn't mind dipping my hands in doing that one day just for myself, of course my todo list is long

Offline PintailWaterfowl

• New Forum Member
    • Pintail Waterfowl
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »
Just like anything, it gets expensive quick, lol. The difficulty level isn't that high, but it is messy and pretty nasty stuff. The fumes are pretty bad.

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
I bet it is costly, looked into making pen blanks, i got the little kit years ago and never have tried it

Offline Theo Schrader

• New Forum Member
  • Cupped-n-Committed Calls
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
To get the blanks round are you using a capped PVC pipe?
Cupped-n-Committed Crew

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »
Forget the PVC caps, use mold release on the inside of the pipe and duct tape one end, that will get you started.  Or go pro and get silicone mold resin and make yourself some molds. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Theo Schrader

• New Forum Member
  • Cupped-n-Committed Calls
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:57:57 AM »
Any recommendations on places to get the silicone?
Cupped-n-Committed Crew

Offline PintailWaterfowl

• New Forum Member
    • Pintail Waterfowl
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
I tried a number of methods before finding what worked best for me. I did try PVC. PVC caps work well but wastes material. Duct tape or masking tape is messy, leaks, and wastes a lot of tape. Plus leave tape residue all over your mold. Good for short term. Commercial mold release isn't needed with PVC. Pam or WD-40 works just fine.

Never tried silicone, but I would think that would be a pain and wouldn't last very long over time. Machined aluminum is the way to go.

Offline Jonathon Brooks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
I'd skip the PVC and go for a silicone mold. I'm new to calls, but I've been casting pen blanks for years with PR and Alumilite. I've gotten all my molds from a buddy of mine Fred Wissen at www.luv2turn.com if he doesn't have something already made that will work he's been known to do a custom mold or two. I have 20+ molds and have had no issues.

Offline PintailWaterfowl

• New Forum Member
    • Pintail Waterfowl
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
I'd skip the PVC and go for a silicone mold. I'm new to calls, but I've been casting pen blanks for years with PR and Alumilite. I've gotten all my molds from a buddy of mine Fred Wissen at www.luv2turn.com if he doesn't have something already made that will work he's been known to do a custom mold or two. I have 20+ molds and have had no issues.

Are they square?

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

Are they square?
All of the molds are square or rectangular. Some of the castings are cylindrical and some have four side

Offline Jonathon Brooks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »

Are they square?
All of the molds are square or rectangular. Some of the castings are cylindrical and some have four side

The blanks that come out are already round. Check out his site he has pictures of each mold available.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
I have been casting for several years.  The PVC works, yes the silicone works better, but at about $50 for a mold is it worth it?  Yes if you plan on casting a lot of blanks.   If you are not planning on 100's of blanks, the PVC works great, I split mine, tape them back together and then spray with mold release.  Every so often I will have one stick, a rap with a hammer and it pops out. 

My custom molds are made from silicone, I made my masters out of polished aluminum and other materials.  Then I cast them myself.  I have all of the equipment, not some jury rigged pressure or vacuum chambers.  Professionally made to insure they won't blow up the neighborhood or kill me.  The vacuum methods are relatively safe, if you want to play, go that route or spend a fortune.

I don't use the resins or Alumilite for call bodies, if I want acrylic look I will use acrylic, not the resin.  I use the castings with worthless wood, cactus and other fillers, rarely by themselves.  My castings are also used in some of my pens. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
A long time ago I use to pour blanks for a reason other than call making using the resin that is used to plug bowling balls. We used rubber hose with a rather smooth inside. Cut a slit in it on one side. Tape it up with duct tape. Put one end down on a piece of formica then take oil base non-hardening molding clay and clay around the base where it sits on the formica fill the tube up to the top and let it harden. Afterwards remove the clay and save it as it can be reused many times. Remove the duct tape and the hose opens up and it is easy to remove. Use a mineral oil to release. Not sure if you can use any of this info but it worked fine for me.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »
Ryan, nobody said it , so I will, I think that is a great idea you have there pouring that stuff and leaving the 5/8" hole inside. Good job. :bigup: