Author Topic: Something kinda cool  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• Custom Call Maker
Something kinda cool
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
I thought it would be really cool for ya'll to see my antique bird before and after "antiquing" it. It was made with the intent of being a real nice gunner. I made it brighter than normal so that the details would show up in the final product. I also put several dents and damages. Anyway, by the time I was ready to antique it I was rethinking doing it :hysterical: but in the end I think it's better. ~Andre'

Offline Mike DePaul

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Something kinda cool
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »
Andre, that is awesome. I would leave it like it is but then again I couldn't get it to look that good.
Looking forward to seeing the after photo.

Mike

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
That's pretty awesome Andre. I love the antiqued version of it alot. Mike i think the first picture is the modern perfectly carved duck decoy and the second is after Andre "antiqued" it so the second is the after photo. But keep up the good work Andre, I'd love to get into decoy carving, seems like a pretty cool hobby  :bigup:
Ethan

Offline Mike DePaul

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »
Ethan, Thanks . I see both the before and after now that you pointed it out.  I don't know why it didn't register when I was posting the reply.   :wacko: Oh Well, I am going to use the getting old card. But I still like the decoy only now both the before and after.   :hysterical:

Thanks again
Mike

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
Andre, you have just loads of talent. Just keep posting up here so we can all be envious of your talent. Very,very nice and well done.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Callen

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
That's an awesome job man. So what does the antiquing process entail?
Cody
-Cody

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
Thanks everyone!
Callen: you have to pretty much try to recreate the damages and wear that a decoy would actually go through, say 60 years. Add hardware that is aged, painting rust, waterline scum, salt water residue, oil damages, water swelling damages, bb holes... trust me, you can just come up with hundreds of things to add and make it look older (which is why in my opinion it is so fun to make them). Then when you are done you keep applying different types of waxes for several weeks to put a nice patina and protect the decoy so that it doesn't keep aging without you wanting it to :hysterical:

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »
You do great work Andre!  I could never antique something that beautiful, but I have to say that I like both the before and after pics!  It reminds me of when I worked for a builder and we had to antique a kitchen full of brand new $40,000 cabinets.  It was sickening to throw log chains and gravel at brand new cabinets.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:44:58 AM »
. "It was AWESOME to throw log chains and gravel SOMEONE ELSES at brand new cabinets."
fixed it for you. :devil2:
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain