Author Topic: new elk call maker !!  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Travis @ Wapiti Outdoors

• New Forum Member
new elk call maker !!
« on: October 23, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »
Hello guys !!

I would like to introduce myself. My Name is Travis O'Shea and i  live in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada.
My company is Wapiti River Outdoors. We make elk bugle tubes and mouth reeds. We are also looking to start a line of external type open reed elk calls. I would like to say you guys all look very talented and make some beautiful call !! I hope to contribute some nice calls as soon as i can .

Travis

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: new elk call maker !!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
Welcome to the show Travis.  I'd be interested in you teaching us about how the mouth calls you make work.  Especially the air/sound dynamics of an elk bugle tube. 

I'm interested to know if there's any room for wood work in an elk bugle tube, and what types of supplies you currently use.

Hate to be blunt, just excited to hear your perspective on these calls that are different than what most of us here are making right now.

Pull up a chair and stay a while!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
Thanks Vince,

I must say you really got me thinking about wood work in a bugle tube. Mostly for the looks that many of you guys can come up with.....i am in awe in how the wood grains turn out so sweet !!

On a bugle tube that would sell hands down over a plastic tube with some camo material over it. I will be looking very hard into how to incorporate the wood work in.

I will be calling in the Elk calling world championships in Las Vegas in March, and people would be nuts over a tube that not only sounds incredible but looks so stunning as well !!

As for the sound the bugle tubes make. The air hits the end of my tube and is bounced back into the tube before being expelled out the end and the result is a very real guttural sound. I use the diaphragm reeds similar to the turkey reeds. They are very versatile as you can add your voice and growl and make all kinds of noises with them as I'm sure most of you know already.

I'm not a big fan of the open reed style of bugle tubes as they sound so unrealistic...great for coyote calls though. The open reed style can make great cow calls and are very loud for reaching out while locating elk. That is a huge benefit while hunting.

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:37 AM »
I was just thinking of making a elk call myself but haven't the first clue as too the in's and out's. my brother just recently moved to Arizona and apperently there is a huge elk heard and hunter following there. Thought it would be cool to welcome him there with a elk call! He did say though that it takes roughly 6 yrs to get drawn to hunt there so it may sit on the shelf awhile!  :stickman1:

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »
Welcome aboard.  Along with my full line up of game calls I also make a bite down style cow elk call.  I am interested in making an elk bugle style call in the future.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
Good info Travis.

If a wood turner was able to come up with some kind of tube they would like, what direction would you suggest they go to get their customer set up with a quality mouth call to go with it?

Do you carry multiple mouth calls and one tube by chance?

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Monte at Truckee River Turning Co

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:26:14 AM »
Welcome Travis, I haven't been on the forum in a while but your conversation with Vince has me interested!
Wood on a tube in the field would be impractical but a mouth piece and end cap would be very cool to see in competition. I will be at Elk Camp Vegas also, and look forward to meeting you.
Monte

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
I only carry one tube hunting but i had multiple reeds that i call with as you never know what sound the elk want on a given day. Just like fishing with different lures or flies. My tube is open on the end so i can use mouth reeds and that is what i would recommend as they sound the best.

Yes Monte a wood mouth piece was exactly what i was thinking also !! I look forward to meeting you and chatting !! Have you entered the calling contest before ? This will be my first time. I also have the Canadian qualifier on Saturday! I'll keep you up to date with how i make out !!

Travis

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
Travis,

Do you have any thoughts to share on what the tube should be made out of (sources to purchase from, etc.) or is that a trade secret of competition callers?

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Hi Vince

I sent you some info on your pm.

Travis

Offline Monte at Truckee River Turning Co

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »
Travis, could you send me the info on your tube also? :eek:"Just doesn't sound right"
Fellas I was thinking 3" to 4" long mouth piece with a tenon which you could slide tube on! and a 1" cap with tenon. You could have a cover made from burlap or another meterial other then camo, to stand out. If you really wanted to make their jaws drop you could  use leather cord with slip knots  to attach your cover and drop a set of ivories from the cord! This may be over the top but it would look pretty cool.
 I don't think this has been done before?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
LOL Please keep your mind off my" tube" !! LOL

I Like your thinking on the tube !! I look forward to meeting you in Vegas. Vince has one of my tubes and we are working on something for the Calling contest. You've got some very cool idea's !!

Love the ivories idea !! Very cool. Do some up if you want and i'll attach them on !!

I am gonna get an awesome shirt to wear on the World elk calling stage !! I'm gonna put my company and logo and also Vince's at VECtor Calls if he wants it on and I would also include yours (Truckee River Turning Co) as well for helping on the tube which I wil be showing off proudly !! :bigup: :beer:

Trav