Author Topic: Hedge set  (Read 6167 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Hedge set
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »

Last year, I started donating a couple of calls to the Ducks Unlimited chapter in the small town where I grew up.  I've been going to the banquets a long time since my father was one of the charter members of the chapter when it started up about 25 years ago.  I donated a couple of predator calls and a lanyard I made, and the set was put up in the silent auction.  And by the end of the evening, they sold for $90.  The little guy that won them had an eyeball on them the whole time the silent auction was running.  And once the aution was over, he never took the lanyard off. ;D

The banquet this year is this coming weekend and here are the two calls that I am donating this year.  Some good yellow hedge from Al, that I turned into faux green hedge for a little old school look.

Thanks for lookin.  I hope they do well as last year.

Brian

ps - Al, I'm out of hedge.  I am hoping you are going to get some more in soon.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Hedge set
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »
Very Nice thing to do Brain,And them are some sweet looking calls.

Bucko

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
Job well done .Nice calls and service with a smile I see. :D

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »
I can see why that young fellow had his eye on that lanyard and calls all night. Good looking calls and really nice lanyard. Nice work. Are those predator calls you are donating this year?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
Thats a lucky youg fella up there. Not just to have won the calls but moreso for having folks like you bringing them along.  ;D
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »

Braz,

I don't make duck calls yet, so yep, they are predator calls.  The tightwads at the banquet probably wouldn't spend over $25 for a custom duck call anyways.  Some of the big Terry Redlin prints only go for about $150 when they should be pulling in about $350-500.  I've thought about trying to make duck calls and to donate a duck call at the DU banquet some day.  Well, in some drunken hazy thoughts a few months ago, I even attempted making a duck call.  The sound wasn't anything near stellar :-\, so I'll just stick to making predator calls for now. ;D  Maybe some day I'll get a good duck call made.  My father can really run a duck call well, so I've got a pretty good prostaff member already lined up ;D.   I could probably turn some barrels and insert in some Echo inserts, but I can't bring myself to donate that.  Although the folks at this banquet wouldn't probably even notice the difference.  ::)

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »
Very nice calls.  I like the looks of Hedge.  I've got a few that are going to a NWTF this Sat. night also.  Waiting for the wife to get home so I can head to the shop and finnish them up.  To much time working lately, not enough time playing.  I'll be sure to take a few snapshots Sat if I get them done.  Your comment about them being tight asses at those things is true up here too.  I sent two sets in cases down last year and they went for $100 and $145.   The ones I send to the church auction get twice that, exact same kind of sets.  Seems that everone is looking for a good deal after spending $25 on dinner.

CW

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 05:03:25 PM »
Great looking calls and an even nicer thing to do.

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »

Well, the two calls and a lanyard I made went for $85 this year at the banquet.  And man, was stuff going cheap. ::) :o  Lots of framed prints were going for less than $100.  Attendance was down quite a bit from that past quite a few years.  Don't know if all if the high gas prices are hitting everyone hard, or if it just was an off year? :-[    I did sell a few calls after the banquet, and got some orders for some more, so I guess it turned out ok for me.  Had a really good time like always.

Brian

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 01:41:11 AM »
I got the Dave Barnhouse "From Humble Beginings" for $30 on Sat. nite, but I overpaid for the stamp set $70   Lots of stuff went really cheap.  My buddy said they were expecting 150 but I bet that it was more like 70-80.  Brought down 3 packaged calls and one boxed set.  All my packaged pots went for about $50 on the silent.  The boxed set of Leopardwood went for $280, and I'm not sure what Leopard/Bloodwood locators went for.  It was a good time, and it was the observed St Pats so I was going out anyways.  Sorry my pics suck but I took them in the parking lot just before I went in.

CW

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
You're right, the pictures aren't the best, but they still show what great looking calls you were donating. Nice work.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:04:12 PM by Braz »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »
Wow - nice calls.   I have to chatch up on a few threads it looks like but the hedge set is outstanding and I realy like those pot calls  - dang  you guys do some really nice work!

AL @ THO

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
Nice looking calls,I am not a big fan of leopardwood,but it sure looks nice on them pot calls.

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
BigB,
   I love the look of your faux hedge! Would you mind sharing your recipe for the faux look? I have played around with the steel wool and vinegar deal on hedge, but I can't seem to get that nice of a look. Are you using lye or something else? Thanks in advance. Shawn

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »

I've tinkered with both the steel wool/vinegar and the ferric chloride.  At this point, I am not sure which one I like better yet.

Here's some calls that I am working on now.  They don't have a final finish on them yet.

The call on the left is the steel wool/vinegar and the two calls on the right are ferric chloride. 

Marvin helped me get started on the faux hedge stuff, so all the credit has to go to him.

Brian