Author Topic: Elk Antler Cow Call Works  (Read 5784 times)

Austy

Elk Antler Cow Call Works
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »

A little while back I posted some pictures of some of the Cow Elk "Open Reed" Calls that I was making for my Oregon Elk Hunt.  Well I put these calls to the test this September in Oregon and all I can say is, They work.  I killed this beautiful 6X6 on the last day our our hunt September 22nd at 2:15 in the afternoon.   During my hunt I used the elk calls that I made almost exclusively the entire hunt and was very pleased with the response and reaction that I had from the elk there using my calls. 
The call that I am holding in my right hand is one of the Calls that I made which the entire call, less the reed of course is made out of Elk Antler.  This call was sent to my friend who lives in Oregon this past summer for him to play with and he told me when he got it that we were going to kill a good bull this year with one of my calls and he told me that would be the call that he used to close the deal.  Well this call was used to to put the finishing touches on this bull and I shot my bull at 13 yards.  There is nothing more satisfying than knowing that you made the call that closed the deal. 

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
Re: Elk Antler Cow Call Works
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
Congrats, that is awesome.  Makes all those hours in the shop well worth it. 

Jason

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
Congrats on a fine bull, and getting it done with your own caller!  Awesome accomplishment!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Travis @ Wapiti Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »
Way to go and something to be very proud of there !!! Congrats and enjoy the good eating !! Your call looks amazing !! How did you keep the guts in ? o-Rings or wedge type fit ?

Trav

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Really makes one feel good to know that he can do the whole deal from making the call to the harvest!
Great bull, Great job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Austy

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:22:54 AM »
On this call the 2 pieces of the elk antler mouth piece with the reed were sanded to create a tight fit and are wedged into the call.  When I put the mouthpice into the call body it actually almost pops into the call and fits good and tight.  I wanted a tight fit so that I didn't have to worry about the call coming apart while we were hunting.  The calls that I made after this one I started to put an O ring groove on the two pieces again to make sure that they don't come out of the call body.  There were 5 guys in elk camp with me this past year all of which had similar calls.  We had a total of 4 or 5 bulls within bow range using my calls but were only able to close the deal on the one that I was lucky enough to kill.  We had 2 bulls at 20 yards that just wouldn't step into an opening for a shot.  That's hunting!!