Author Topic: Making an Arkansas style insert - method 1  (Read 29685 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Making an Arkansas style insert - method 1
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:17:28 PM »

I had some guys at work ask me how to make an Arkansas style duck call insert.  So, I read up on a couple of methods of how to do it.  Here is method one. 

I started with a 1" diameter rod that was 4" long, and I mounted it in my 4 jaw chuck.

Then I started turning the insert to shape.  I measured how long I wanted the tenon, and started turning the tenon to 5/8" diameter.

Once you get close to the final diameter, you can use a 5/8 wrench to make sure you end up with a 5/8" diameter tennon.

Remove the 4 jaw chuck from the lathe, and install the collet chuck.  Install the insert into the collet chuck.

Now is the time to drill the exhaust hole and tone channel.  I use a drill stop on the drill bit to drill the exact depth that I need.  I always double check that the drill stop is at the right depth.

Drill the insert to the desired depth.

Finish shaping the insert to final design and finish sand the insert.

Remove the insert from the collet chuck, and place it in the toneboard jig.  Knowing how deep you drilled the insert, measure from the exhaust end of the insert to your reference point on the jig.  Secure the insert in the jig with the set screw.

Take the insert to the band saw, and cut off the excess part above the toneboard jig. And cut out the cork notch.  I don't cut right against the jig with the band saw blade because it dulls the band saw blade quickly.

I then take the toneboard still installed in the jig to the belt sander, and sand down to the profile of the jig.

Remove the insert from the jig, and it is ready for a reed, cork and tuning.

And feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Making an Arkansas style insert - method 1
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »
Very nicely done. Great pictures with great descriptions. Very nice.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:12:39 AM »
Another good one! 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »
A great tutorial, but one thing to point out. The belt sander will attack the toneboard jig, removing material from the jig on the toneboard surface. If you cut close with the jigsaw, and then cut to the jig profile with a file, your jig will not be dammaged. I used to do this the same yay as you, until a friend showed me the damge the belt sander was causing. Hope this helps.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »

Hey Bob, will a belt sander remove material on a hardened jig?  I understand about removing material on an unhardened jig.  And a follow up question would be about removing jig material with a file - I am assuming that the file is harder than sandpaper, so I'm confused why the file won't take off jig material as well.  :-\

I'll take a look at my jig to see if I have some marks on it from the belt sander.

Thanks for the heads up.

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »
Bob is right on with this one! The sand paper will affect your jig surface. A file will not damage it at all. Shawn

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »
I had a hard time believing it too, until I messed anound with the back of the jig. I just barely hit the corner on the belt sander, and it reoved a significant amount. Then I too a file and tried the same thing, and the file skips right over. Try it. Good luck!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Doss

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
where do you buy these sweet jigs you have here... that is slick.
Where's my turkey?

Big Trestle

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
Job well done :bigup:

Tim

Offline rmartin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »
This is a great show of how to make the insert.  I have one question that everyone I have seen seems to forget to tell and help newbies like me is how and when do you put the O-ring grove on your insert and what are the dimensions from the exhaust or the end of the tone board. I have looked at many different videos, slide shows, read many articles etc., and everyone goes from turning the insert to putting it in the jig, but somewhere in-between the O-ring groove is put in and no one says when to do it or at what place on the insert is should be made.  Just hoping someone can help clarify it.  Thanks.