Author Topic: To Lanyard Grove or not, that is the question  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
To Lanyard Grove or not, that is the question
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
As you guys know, I am mostly a predator call turner. As such, I turn calls with one lanyard grove, usually in the body of the call. Even if the call is two piece, the mouth piece is either glued in or very tightly fit in with o-rings, and they rarely come out. But for you guys that do the duck and goose calls, I have a question. I have always heard that the call should have a lanyard grove in the body, and in the insert, so you don't have to dive in the lake for part of your call. I have noticed, while viewing all the beautiful duck and goose calls you great turners are making, that this is not always the case.

So, now you see the reason for the post. What do you think? Should there be a lanyard grove on both parts of the call, or is one sufficient? Reasons for your position.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:36:44 PM by Braz »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

builderone

Re: To Lanard Grove or not, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »
I have only made a few duck calls. I didn't see a reason to have a  grove on both parts. When I build them I make sure to keep tight tolerances so everything is tight. I took 3 with me this weekend and they got thrown around the boat and I never had a problem.
Chad

Offline nebo

• New Forum Member
  • Blow's just an expression
    • http://www.myspace.com/nebogamecalls
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
Chad, I see what you are saying, but anything can happen.

Braz, I always put grooves on both. I have seen to many people come back with the cheap end of a $125.00 call. It is not worth it to me to only put one on there. I have just seen it too many times. The insert is the most important part of a duck call.

That is just my thoughts on it. Some may see it different, and I have no problem with it.

Neel

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
Need a groove IMO.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »

Do you need a groove with an o-ring fit?  I can see the need for a lanyard groove if you are using a friction fit.

???

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
I do a groove on both parts and hook them both on that lanyard.  If a call needs to be worked on in the field the lanyard keeps the 2 parts from being lost.  That goes for O ring and friction fit. Especially deer grunts, if you want to change the tone and you are on a tripod or tree stand you don't want half the call falling 10 feet to the ground.  Same with predator calls, if you are in a high rack on a pickup it sucks to have to crawl down to the pickup bed to pick up the lost part.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:50 PM »
I put the groove in both pieces. I have had calls come apart without me touching them due to the weather, me bumping them, or whatever. I dont want someone calling me later telling me that they lost the insert
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
All good answers, but Neel hit it on the head. If you lose the insert of a call it is shot. The "business" end is why they cost what they do. Use a groove. Shawn

Bill

Re: To Lanyard Grove or not, that is the question
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:22 AM »
Predator calls I use one groove.

Deer calls I highly reccommend 2.The call Is just a piece of wood if ya loose the reed insert

Bill

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 09:00:19 AM »
I like to have 2, cause anything can happen. I usually have a spot on the insert they can put a second lanyard, but you can put a groove there and if they don't use it thats their problem.
Kuipdog

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »
Two grooves, always.
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline pullit

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »
Two grooves, always.

I lost a stopper from one of the best duck calls I ever had because it only had one grove. This call was from a custom call maker. This happened back in the 1980's. I always want 2 groves because of this....
I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy object...