Author Topic: Stabilizing Bone and Antler  (Read 24532 times)

birddog1

Re: Stabilizing Bone and Antler
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:24 AM »
A grunt done with Blood wood & walnut ,the walnut was only because I screwed it up and I didn't want to make fire wood out of it ,and the end are stabilize Moose antler.s2/fricalls005_zps935478ca.jpg[/IMG] The antler are cut to about the size I need

birddog1

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 05:21:37 AM »

birddog1

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
That turned out well Doug.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
Nice work!  I really do like how that turned out!

I'm thinking a green or a brown if I were to do it.  I wonder if a brown would give it an 'old time stained' look to the antler?

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

birddog1

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »
that a thought I will have to try that ,I'll have to get a hold of Curtis for more juice and colors

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »
Guys I have Curtis' setup and have done some large whitetail antler before.  I would just ensure that the antler has been allowed to dry for some time before you try to stabilize.  I did a set of antlers for a pen set that were only allowed to dry about three months.  The inside near the base turned a yucky yellow and brown where the "marrow" would be when put in the oven to cure.  I did another set that was on the fence in all the elements for about a year.  Boy they turned out great, couldnt have been happier.  Maybe it was just my luck or an isolated incident.

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 01:08:18 AM »
Guys I have Curtis' setup and have done some large whitetail antler before.  I would just ensure that the antler has been allowed to dry for some time before you try to stabilize.  I did a set of antlers for a pen set that were only allowed to dry about three months.  The inside near the base turned a yucky yellow and brown where the "marrow" would be when put in the oven to cure.  I did another set that was on the fence in all the elements for about a year.  Boy they turned out great, couldnt have been happier.  Maybe it was just my luck or an isolated incident.

I would suggest drying the antler in an oven at 150° F for 24 hours before stabilizing.  That should dry them out close to 0% moisture and eliminate the problem you had.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com
MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice stabilizing resin

birddog1

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »
The antler I did was 4 or 5 years old so there was no problem , as you can see it came out pink with the marrow alittle redder

Butch @ Droptyne designs

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
IT has been since sept 2012 and I would like to see a stabilized antler.  I have elk and deer antler.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:09 AM »
Butch, what you see in the photos earlier in the thread is what you get. A photo isn't going to have an antler showing up in a photo any different than one that is not stabilized if it is not dyed during the process.

The dying process will take the slightly milky white bone and give it a little color. I have not seen any ever that were overly brilliant/vibrant. Like above, a red will end up generally pink, etc.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Frank Fusco

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
I have a lot of Elk antler.   Most of it is too porous to do anything with.   Being able to stabilize it would be a huge deal for me.    How is the project going?

I don't see the point in stabilizing antler or bone. But with porous/marrow using resin to fill in might make it usable. No need to use vacuum just dunk and soak for a while then let cure.