Author Topic: who stabilizes their own wood  (Read 29133 times)

Offline Jon Kennedy Custom Calls

• CCM
  • New Forum Member
Re: who stabilizes their own wood
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
Man, Troy that is some good looking Ash where in the world did you find that stuff?? :hysterical: :hysterical:

Zumbrocalls

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
Thats for some guy in Minnesota   

Brad Robinson

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
I was just cleaning out my wood bin and came across a bunch of dried maple burl. I have a 2inch x 12in x24 inch  burl slab and enough turning squares to fill a large flat rate box. I dont think i want to get involved in doing my own but i would do a trade if someone was interested in dyeing and stabilizing some of it for me.
I was out in my woodlot today also and saw several burls to take out of the woods.

Offline stelz

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
Does this stuff make the wood turn powdery like staburls stuff or is it more ribbons like WSSI and others.. Have any of you guys put the parts in a bucket of water and wieghed them afterward to see if they take on water or swell?
I have all the equipment to do this, but just havent order any resin yet.. may have to try er out! or just raid someones local shop and see :)

Zumbrocalls

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
It does both depending on how good you are with your tools. It will take water and then drain away. Troy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:25:01 PM by Zumbrocalls »

Brad Robinson

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »
I was just cleaning out my wood bin and came across a bunch of dried maple burl. I have a 2inch x 12in x24 inch  burl slab and enough turning squares to fill a large flat rate box. I dont think i want to get involved in doing my own but i would do a trade if someone was interested in dyeing and stabilizing some of it for me.
I was out in my woodlot today also and saw several burls to take out of the woods.
I just got my burl back from Troy today and man is this stuff incredible to turn now. Everything looks great troy.
Im going to cut some more burl up next month and i was out today scouring the woods for some spalted logs that are down. i cant wait till it dries
Thanks, Troy
Brad

Offline Ozark Wood

• New Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
I stabilize using dissolved acrylic. Very simple. I get full penetration with 23 inches of vacuum in 30 min. to one hour. It is a great process to use with burls and/or spalted woods. Depending on the wood a finish may not even be needed afterwards. I'm new here. As soon as I study and learn the rules I may advertise my stable services.

Offline Frank Fusco

• New Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
I do and have for a couple years. I mostly do pen blanks for others but will be doing my calls soon.
I use a simple solution of acrylic dissolved in acetone. The catus juice, and other, commercial products are way too expensive for me and I don't like the smell or having to heat cure.
My solution has fumes but not overpowering and the wood air cures without heat.
Works for me.