Author Topic: Predator toneboard with a River Mallard duck toneboard jig  (Read 8689 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Predator toneboard with a River Mallard duck toneboard jig
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
A while back, we were discussing using duck call jigs to make predator toneboards. I got one of River Mallards public duck call toneboard jigs to see if it could make a good predator toneboard. Here's what I found:

I loaded my delrin blank into the jig. I cut the toneboard profile following the exact curvature of the jig from the cork notch to the end of the jig. The jig actually has a blunt end, but you can use your judgement to follow the jig radius all the way to the tip of the toneboard.

On the top of the jig, you can see the Allen bolts and the thumb screw. These pose a problem for me when I cut my tone channel. I use my router table to cut the tone channel. The thumb screw can be replaced with a Allen screw, but the Allen bolts that fasten the top part to the base are a problem. So, I put the toneboard into another jig to cut the tone channel.

Here's the finished toneboard

Now for the real test - how does it sound??  I can honestly say it sounds really good!  And I was really impressed with how it sounded right out of the jig. I didn't have any pitch breaks and all of the sounds were there from the high pitch coyote vocals to the raspy bunny distress sounds.  I would not hesitate to use this jig for predator calls.

Brian

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:49:26 PM by BigB »
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline nwcatman

• New Forum Member
Re: Predator toneboard with a River Mallard duck toneboard jig
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
question:  could the tone channel be "cut" by drilling the material then cutting it in half? seems like i saw this somewhere.
ROF
Retired Old Fart

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
Yes that is possible.  However, If you have a jig and a router table.  In my opinion Brians method will be easier for tuning the call.  Lonehowl has a post on here about routing the air channel with the toneboard  in the jig backward.  I think that would solve the thumb screw issue also.  Do a quick search and you will find it.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline nwcatman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
still confused. why would i need a router if i DRILLED the tone board material b4 cutting it in half longways? that would create the channel, thus eliminating the need for routing a channel. 
ROF
Retired Old Fart

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
still confused. why would i need a router if i DRILLED the tone board material b4 cutting it in half longways? that would create the channel, thus eliminating the need for routing a channel.

Square tonechannels are "technically" supposed to be better sound sound makers.  It has something to do with aerodynamics.  Depending on my choice of style I use a 3/16" or 1/4" router bit in a homemade milling machine.  I also use the drilled round channels, again it depends on what sound I am looking for. 

There is nothing wrong with using the drilled round holes, they have been used for years and have caused the death of millions of predators.  If you have a great sound that produces animals and are happy with it you are okay.  There are more round tonechannels than square ones.

Rarely you will even see some duck callmakers using square channels.  Duck call toneboards are the predacessors of the modern open reed predator calls.  If it works, just do it your way!!!!

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
Sorry catman.  I was a bit unclear in my last post.  In a round about way I was trying to say that instead of drilling the air channel.  Using the router will make tuning the call easier.  I don't have a router so I drill my air channel.  Then I cut and shape the arc.  Then I use a dremel tool to further shape the air channel.  Then I use a file to clean it up.  A router would save me the dremel step.     
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
Sorry catman.  I was a bit unclear in my last post.  In a round about way I was trying to say that instead of drilling the air channel.  Using the router will make tuning the call easier.  I don't have a router so I drill my air channel.  Then I cut and shape the arc.  Then I use a dremel tool to further shape the air channel.  Then I use a file to clean it up.  A router would save me the dremel step.     

I drill with a 7/32" drill bit when I start, then cut, then decide if I want to use the mill or the Dremel or use a file to square the channel.   There are a hundred ways to skin this cat, leave it round, find a file that is close to as wide as the channel and modify it so you can file a flat bottom channel.  Or you can free hand cut it with a Dremel, or you can make a mini mill out of your Dremel using plans on the Internet. or use any other method people have thought up like using a router table to cut it.  Again you can leave it round.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
I leave mine round at the bottom but I use the dremel to even out the width for the entire length of the channel. 

Offline nwcatman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
thats what i need to know. thanks. learning more every day!
ROF
Retired Old Fart

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »
learning more every day!

Me too.  That is the beauty of THO.  Share what ya know.... and learn from what others know.