Author Topic: What all have you turned besides calls?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
What all have you turned besides calls?
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:14:05 AM »
 :wav1:  Just a random question to get some discussion going.

I made calls for a few years with out a lathe.  My lathe purchase at the time completely revolved around turning turkey call strikers. 

:rofl:  I bought a brand new VS Jet for $200 shipped to my door.  I should have bought FIVE. 

The only things I can think of that I have turned that was not call-related was a princess wand (  :punk: pink of course! ), and the base shape for a morel mushroom carving.

What do you all have on your list?  I'm sure its a lot longer......I'm especially trying to pull Bob Espy into this conversation.  That guy knows how to turn some wood!   :up1:

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
Re: What all have you turned besides calls?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:28:27 AM »
I started turning back in 2001 or 02 after buying a little 10" Delta lathe on a whim. I started with bowls (because that's what I could make with free green wood), then boxes, goblets, whistles, pens, and so on. I only became interested in call making in the last couple of years.

Offline Chuck Moore

• New Forum Member
    • C Moore Woodworks LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:40:04 AM »
Besides calls, I also turn pens, bottle stoppers, vases, and getting ready to start turning Christmas ornaments. I guess I better get on the ball if I want to sell any ornaments for Christmas this year.
Chuck
C Moore Woodworks LLC

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »
I started in 2001 with new Delta Midi, I turned Christmas ornaments, candle stick holders, plates, bowls, boxes, pens, tops. I turned a few custom drawer pulls and some oak newel post tops, and since I started calls I added pin cussions, seam rippers, bottle stoppers, and the new on I am working on is fire starters. I turned wheels for a toy maker that could not find some the size he wanted. Then there is that fancy firewood that I probably turned the most of.
Wane

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »
Then there is that fancy firewood that I probably turned the most of.

That is the best one yet!! I think we can all add that one to our list.   :hysterical:

All of the usual stuff for me also. Pens, bowls, bottle stoppers, Chisel handles, and toy wheels.
One other off the wall thing I've turned. A pancake smasher. My daughter had to come up with an invention for school last year. It is basically a shallow bowl with a handle on the backside. Use it like a cookie cutter to make the perfect shaped pancakes. It was really a fun project because she stayed in the shop with me from start to finish. Even did most of the sanding.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Mike DePaul

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
I started way back in January of this year.  :rofl:  Got a jet for Christmas . After playing with several feet of 2X4's I started making pens, Seam rippers, Razors, I then jumped to vases, bowls, Lidded boxes, rollling pins, pepper mills, kids whistles, turkey pots, duck, deer, goose calls.  I turn for fun and am enjoying it very much.

Mike

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »
OK . . . replacement furniture turning duplicates, fishing plugs, walking canes, goose head anvil with base, turning tool handles, display bases, bartenders muddler stick, handles for pizza cutters, letter and bottle openers, a three piece lanyard holder, and lots of novelties.  I'm sure there is other stuff.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Donnie

• New Forum Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
I started in 2001 with new Delta Midi...

Do you still have that LA200?  I wore mine out and now it's awaiting a much needed restoration which may be a winter project for me.