Author Topic: Finishing a Pot  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Hayseedboy

• New Forum Member
    • Smokin' in the Dark
Finishing a Pot
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:02:12 PM »
All,

Well, I have made "some" progress since my last post.  Have turned my second pot (prototype XY) and actually did install the slate in this one.  :) 

My question is about finishing the wood.  There is a tremendously overwhelming amount of information on this site.  Great information but I am a bit confused so I thought I would ask it here.

I would like to be able to use BLO to make the grain POP on the pots but am concerned that it might interfere with the stability of the glue (marine goop) somewheres down the road.  Am I over thinking it?  Will the oil breakdown the glue on the glued surface?

Also, what kind of finish should I apply on top of the BLO?  Shellac?  Lacquer?

Thanks in Advance,
Larry

p.s.  this last one I did sounds like a Jake going thru puberty.... a little high pitched.... or maybe it's just the accoustics in my garage :)
"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

"Look in the sky, it's a bird, no it's a plane... no I forgot to tight the jaws on my chuck!"

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Finishing a Pot
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to use Spar Urethane from here on out.  I've used several others that are not as durable.

Pot calls gain a lot of moisture on humid mornings in the spring woods.  You've got to keep from that happening.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
I use BLO on a lot of calls if the wood is worth the hassle. What I do is rub the BLO on with a cloth, making sure NOT to get any on the lip where my calling surface will be. I also put it on the INSIDE of the call as well to help offset any swelling or contraction fo the wood due to humidity. I dont soak a pot in BLO or tung oil just to make sure that lip stays dry and not give the oil a chance to interfere with the glue
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Offline pullit

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
I have made two pot calls and the finish looks like crap. I do not remember what I used but I think it was a spray poly.
I have one or two pots left and was thinking the next time I did one I might try tung oil.

Would this be better or worse that BLO?
I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy object...

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »
 ;D  Pullit......join the club!   ;D  I'm one of the founding members!   ;D  Finishing a pot call makes me beat my head against the wall harder than anything else in call making.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
I use spar on my pots. If you use it, realize finishing the pots won't be a one or two day thing. I probably over do mine, but I put a minimum of 5 coats on. So, if the humidity is right, that's a minimum of 5 days with drying between coats. I coat my calls 100%. Sound holes are often neglected and, to me, that leaves wood open to drawing moisture.
Bonnie K

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 12:22:40 PM »
I use a poly mix so I can dip the call for the first coat.  Like Justannie, I feel the call is not really finished if the sound holes have no finish in them.  Dip the first, then at least 2 coats of hand rubbed wipe on poly, 72 hour drying time and then a buffing.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline pullit

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
I use a poly mix so I can dip the call for the first coat.  Like Justannie, I feel the call is not really finished if the sound holes have no finish in them.  Dip the first, then at least 2 coats of hand rubbed wipe on poly, 72 hour drying time and then a buffing.

Marvin

I am dumb, what are you mixing your poly with? Do you get drips and runs after dipping? if so, do you sand them out before you apply the other coats or sand them at the end?

thanks
I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy object...

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »
If you go to the General Call Making Discussions area, you will find some topics that cover that area quite well. I suggest that rather than an answer here, because, while you will get an answer, you will miss out on all the discussion that we have had on that subject. You can learn more there. If you still need more info, please post back and we will be more than happy to answer all your questions. Just want you to be as fully informed as possible.  :D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
You have alot of great anwers here. I use spar poly as well. I think Braz is right though, there is even more info where he suggests.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline West Augusta

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 05:39:37 PM »
I mainly use a semi gloss poly.  4 or 5 coats hand rubbed, then sand down to fill the grain, then two finish coats.

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »
Using any oil, whether it be tung oil or BLO, will really bring out the grain in a piece of wood. I use it on close to 90% of the calls I build.
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Offline Gobbleking57

• New Forum Member
  • Gobbleking Custom Calls & Strikers
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »
I use BLO on all of my strikers I've turned to bring out the grain really well. I like it myself. Can't speak about pots just yet.
When you see red, pump the lead !!!!!!