Author Topic: Need some help on box calls  (Read 1540 times)

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
Need some help on box calls
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
Ok so I dont think I would have gotten to this point of making a box if it was not for the awesome write up waylon did!!  Now heres my problem.  I have the lid on the box the box is checkered so on.  I have tried tunning this thing and for my first not to awful bad.  I think im tunning this thing wrong.  When you all tune them are you scraping the top part of the rail or the bottom or both on the inside of the box?  Next question do I need to only tune the area where the lid makes contact with the rail?  I know this sounds confusing but im trying to figure this out myself but wood is expensive round my parts and I would like to figure this problem out in the least amount of material wasted.  It is a heart breaker to take it that far and gunk up the tunning :stickman1:  Thanks for your time

Adam

Offline Waylon at JWT Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Need some help on box calls
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
Here's what I do. I use a straight blade on my pocket knife. Ill try and scrape as much of the wall as I can, top to bottom. I try to keep it pretty much the same thickness. Once I start getting close to the sound I'm wanting, I will start thinning just the top half till I get the sound I want. As far as front to back I scrape the whole wall. Mine are a little thinner at the rear of the call than at the front. This allows me to get the a high pitch and rolls over to a raspy end not. That's what works for me anyway. Hope it helps. Waylon.
JWT Custom Calls THO Member Gallery
Facebook-JWT Custom Game Calls

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
Re: Need some help on box calls
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »
Thanks Waylon ill give that a try as well.  :thanks: