Author Topic: gut material ?  (Read 7004 times)

Offline RAMPAGE CALLS

• New Forum Member
gut material ?
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
I have just finished making a mold for some goose call guts that i plan on running in my new line of calls. I have been doing some test pours of some different 2 part resins but i have not been able to find the correct material that has the properties i am looking for. I currently tried a resin that is supposed to be equivalent to ABS but it is just to brittle to hold up over time to retuning and regular abuse a gut will go through. Also it seems to hard to break in properly over time. I am curious what other guys are using out there that are casting there own guts? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AE

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: gut material ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
Don't think may if any do that, some may make if out of a rod of material but not casting, I could be wrong

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: gut material ?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
The problem I found is you need a resin that doesn't shrink as it cures, that is not brittle, and will not wear.  It may be out there, but none have all of the requirements that are perfect in all requirements.  Alumilite is close, but be careful with it, it is nice because it doesn't smell, but the fumes are still dangerous.  There are other resins on the market, I would start by asking the companies what they would recommend.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.