Author Topic: Owl call in the rough  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Kansas Backwater Outdoors

• New Forum Member
  • Enjoy the experience.
    • Kansas Backwater Outdoors
Owl call in the rough
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
Made from walnut, has Al's owl kit guts inside. Going to do my final sandings and put a finish on it soon.

Shawn Delano

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Owl call in the rough
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:43 AM »
How's she sound?  I read on another thread that at some point one you made was sounding ducky.  What does the exhaust end look like?  You need a small hole or stopper of some sort to create a lot of backpressure with owl calls.  I presume that Al's are the same way but can't say for sure.  Without that back pressure they're bound to have some duck in them. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:40:03 AM by Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks »

• New Forum Member
  • Enjoy the experience.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »
How's she sound?  I read on another thread that at some point one you made was sounding ducky.  What does the exhaust end look like?  You need a small hole or stopper of some sort to create a lot of backpressure with owl calls.  I presume that Al's are the same way but can't say for sure.  Without that back pressure they're bound to have some duck in them.

I do have the stopper in the end. I emailed Al a few days ago, and he said it'll sound more of a muffled duck in sorts, more than a "hoo-hoo" sound. I've got it somewhat-kinda of a owl, but I think I have it sounding like what it can of an owl I think.
Shawn Delano

Offline Freeze @ Cypress Bottom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
Looking good! I've haven't tried making one yet but I know every one I've ever blown I had to cup my hands pretty tight over the exhaust and put alot of air through them to get a good sound. That was before people started making a smaller hole for back pressure, I haven't tried one like that yet.

• New Forum Member
  • Enjoy the experience.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »
Looking good! I've haven't tried making one yet but I know every one I've ever blown I had to cup my hands pretty tight over the exhaust and put alot of air through them to get a good sound. That was before people started making a smaller hole for back pressure, I haven't tried one like that yet.

Yeah, this one with the kit has a stopper at 1/2" and the hole that comes out of that is even smaller.
Shawn Delano