Author Topic: New to the idea.  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Hayseedboy

• New Forum Member
    • Smokin' in the Dark
New to the idea.
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:16:37 AM »
Howdy All,

I have been turning pens for a while and have recently started turning bowls and a few deer grunts.  I'd really like to attempt the slate call.  Is there a site anywhere or tutorial that gives demensions on the typical call?  I have been reading and see there are all different sizes of slate, glass etc.  But I would like to understand more how you are turning them and the demensions etc.

Anyone willing to hep' me?

Thanks!
Larry
"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

"Look in the sky, it's a bird, no it's a plane... no I forgot to tight the jaws on my chuck!"

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: New to the idea.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »
Hi,

Some of the turkey call makers are out deer hunting - but when they get back I am sure they will be able to help you.

A lot of places are going to tell you that you have to experiment and find what works for you, which really, after you get the basics down is not bad advice.  But you need to learn the basics first.   I think we will be able to get you started and then, where you go with it is up to you!   I dont make turkey calls but from what I know, the standard seems to be a 3 1/2 inch top over 3 inch sound board as a place to start.  After that, it really is what sound you like.   I like slate calls, I just think they sound very nice.  Glass is OK, and I have some glass over glass calls, but I always seem to come back to the slate calls when I hunt.   Everyone is different and until you play a few it might be hard to determine what you like.  Some folks even use wood sound boards.  So there are a lot of choices. 

I dont stock slate in the store, but I can get you a number to a place that you buy it at a fair price.  Glass, there is a guy named Stumpy on Custom Calls On Line that seems to be the go to guy for glass.   I think Darrin at Grassy Creek carries copper for pot calls too.  Never used it and have no idea how it sounds, but it is a popular call surface.

There is a web site, http://www.customsawing.com/  that has some basic instructions that should get you started.  If you click on the Pot Calls they have instructions there.

Welcome to the site!  I hope you enjoy it here.   We pride ourselves on being nice to new guys so jump right in and dont be afraid of getting your head bit off for asking a question cause it wont happen!

Soon as the expert turkey call folks come around, you will get some good info - because we have some of the finest turkey call maker out there on this site.

AL @ THO

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

Here is also a very good tutorial put together by Tim Sandford
http://www.timscustomclubs.com/RutnStrutGameCallsHowtoMakeaPot.ppt

Here is also another tutorial with good pics to get you started.
http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211135908/0#0

The Bud and Betty "How to Make a Pot Call" DVD instructions are good as well, but there is very minimal lathe use on how they make pot calls.  They use Forsner bits to hollow out the pot call.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. But let me tell you up front that I'm not one of those expert turkey call makers. I have made a few, but don't know much more than you do. I'll look forward to the advise you get. I think Al nailed it on the head. Go with the 3 1/2" over 3" and then start experimenting. BigB gave you some tutorials to get you started so you should be well on your way. And don't forget to take some pictures to share with us. Again, welcome and we sure hope we can lend a helping hand.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Hayseedboy

• New Forum Member
    • Smokin' in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »
Boy, you know how to make a fella feel welcome!

What distance do you put the slate sound board from the top slate? 1/8", 1/4"?

Thanks again and I am anxious to get more tips from all those bow hunters!

lr
"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

"Look in the sky, it's a bird, no it's a plane... no I forgot to tight the jaws on my chuck!"

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
I work on the premise of at least the thickness of my surface from my sound board surface apart. That make sense?
Bonnie K

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
And what ever you do, don't let them end up touching when the call dries.  That KILLS the sound, I promise.   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Bonjour

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »
What Bonnie said is what I do. Thickness of glass or slate, approximately 1/8 inch. Use plyobond or marine goop to glue the glass and I use a 2ton epoxy for the surface. I would stay away from copper for a while, I have never liked it and won't use it again. Grassy creek has a good variety of surfaces from alum. to glass and crystal. I am no expert, but have turned a few and know there is a lot to them. I will try to help out when I can.        Ryan

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »
I highly recommend the Bud & Betty dvd. He gives a great starting point, but not EVERYTHING you need to learn on your own either
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:49:34 PM »
The options on a turkey call are endless ALMOST. After all, there has to be only so much one can do with a piece of slate, glass and wood. Strikers are a forgotten aspect of pot calls much f the tie. A striker van make the difference between a good call and a great call. The density, lenght and diameter of the striker as well as the tip shape and the type of wood used all make a difference in the sound. Sometimes an extreame difference. Since you are a pen maker, you already know the techniques to turn one. Take a walk theough Bass Pro or Gander mountain and check out some of the strikers there for some basic ideas for general size and type. Then go from there.
Turning pots can be tricky or easy, just be careful and safe in the way you do it. Some folks use a face plate, others a stepjaw or other chuck. Which ever you choose, just be careful. I use a 4 inch hole saw to cut out alot of my blanks. It gives me a nice uniform piece to work with. From there, I use a 3 1/2 inch hole saw to cut a basic ledge for the slate or glass to set on. Again, be careful, a big hole saw like that can make a piece of wood go from 0 to 110 mph in a second and will beat you up on it's way. A good vise for your drill press is a must. From there, I go and hollow it out and shape it. Then add the other components when I have the pot looking the way I like it.
I'll try and do some pictures if I can break loose long enough.
Welcome to the board and have fun. These folks have a WEALTH of knowledge to draw from. All you need to do is ask.
Brian
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline Poor Valley

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
I want to emphasize the importance of safety mentioned by Heirloom, especially when useing a drill press. When useing large forstner bits you need to secure the work piece and take it easy. From experience I learned to use a vice that weighs about 30# and clamp it to the press table.
Maker of Poor Valley Bench Made Turkey Calls. Field grade slate and glass calls with a world class sound.