Author Topic: You've got $50.....  (Read 6670 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
You've got $50.....
« on: October 26, 2008, 03:13:04 AM »
You've been given a $50 limit by a customer to use for the purchase of a material to make a deer grunter.  (This is NOT the total cost, this is what the customer wants to put towards the material).

It needs to be VERY unique......you will never make another one like it.

It also needs to make a very low tone.....which to me, means dense.

WHAT are you going to make it out of?  And where can I get this at?

The blank dimensions are 1.5 by 1.5 by 6".

This isn't just any customer, it is a VERY good friend of mine that harvests a LOT of nice bucks.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Waccamaw Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Waccamaw Calls  Do It All !!
Re: You've got $50.....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »
my thoughts,
Dense wood will be loud and  tree busting
I would use soft wood probably Cypress Knee and finish it with poly dip
Make the exhaust long and supply a tube but stress using his hands  cupped to his chest.
Use one of Al's toneboards and pitch it with the O ring.
Again my thoughts.
Bill
friends don't let friends CNC ... IN GOD WE TRUST

Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:29:52 AM »
I have to agree with Bill On this one Dense wood like dymond wood I found you need to extend the reed a good ways past the tip of the tone board to get deep grunts Cocobola ,Walnut,Bocote,,Zebrawood,Kingwood,Maple all make very nice sounds

And I am betting this stuff will make some awesome sounding grunts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160274039255&Category=71235&_trksid=p3907.m29

It is a little bit softer then Cocobola has some nice figure and finishes up nicely also

Bill

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
To make the call the issue of $50 will be a problem, I cannot think of any wood that costs that much for a deer grunt.  I would skip the dollar value and look at what he wants for the sound.  A very low tone will require extra length and a softer wood.  An all wood call is my choice, forget the plastic tube for a low tone. My first choice would be zebra wood, definitely unique, and it is hard enough but not so hard that it wouldn't muffle the sound.  Second choice would be mesquite, unique but I think to dense and will not give the lowest tone. 

Length?  I would make a set of parts for an all wood call, first make it like you always do, then make another adding length to the mouth piece and the exhaust end.  This way you have 2 of each and you mix and match to see what produces the lowest/best tone.  Use a wood like walnut or better yet cedar for the practice versions I would guess it is close enough to zebra wood to be a good match.  Test using the long mouth piece and the regular barrel, then test using the regular mouth piece and the long barrel and so on and so forth.

The total cost of the wood is nowhere near $50, but you can add antler for bands, or some other exotics like horn, but that still will not reach $50.  Then there is ivory, that will reach the $50 plus, or a nice bundle of cash. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
If it were me, this is what I would do.

I would go to Arizona Shiloette and get a nice blank of stabilized burl.  Enough to make the call is going to set you back pretty close to the 50 buck mark.  You will need to call them and actually speak to the guy and tell him what you want and trust that he will help you out.  I know they can be a pain sometimes, but if it is for a friend, put up with it.  Consider it part of the cost of your friendship.  Let me know if you want to go this way and I will get you the number and other info you need.

Then, I would drill the blank over sized and sleave the inside with a piece of walnut.  That gives you a very unique one of a kind outside, and a nice mellow sounding call inside.  It also will give you a very unique design that he probably wont see anyone else have.

For example, you might drill the blank to 1 inch, and then turn a sleeve to fit in the call that is boared the 3/4 inch you normally do.  You dont need a thick wall, just enough to glue up.  DO NOT use any poly glue as the expansion will surely crack the sleeve.   Use Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy.  It is water proof and will never fail.  Rough up the inside of the burl to give it a good place to grip.  Remember, that stabilized wood is NOT sealed, the poors of the wood are open so the epoxy WILL seap into them and make a good bond.  (people think stabilized wood is completely sealed and that is a myth).  Weather you go with the tube or a wood extension or no extension is up to you.  You might want to make the tennon on the end where the tube fits with O rings and give the customer a tube and a wood extension.   A nice lanyard of matching color and wood would be a nice touch too.

Al @ THO

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
Wow, I can't believe all the great ideas you have to assist you in your decision. Ain't this place great!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Stay tuned.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
If you want a really unique wood, try snakewood. It has a great look, but is fairley open grained, and it will heat crack if your not careful.
Kuipdog

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »
I'm with Al. Stabilized burl will insure it's one of a kind and will last forever.

Tackle the 'Low Tone" requirement with the dimensions and reed set up.

Don't even think about delivering this call with a piece of plastic stuck on it.

June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Now that is a new one. I never hear or even thought of turning glued up leather. Do you have an example that you could post? That is a really cool idea.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »
Braz.

Leather is used on some knife handles.  I made some calls that way years ago for a knifemaker.  You take a stack of squares and glue them up using epoxy, if you want you can even dye the leather first and make it look pretty neat.  Then drill through the middle and work it to what ever shape you want.  It can be done on a lathe or freehand.  You need extra sharp chisels and a VERY light touch.  The leather can be quite "stringy" and pull out chunks like wood chips out.  I found that sanding to shape was a better option.

Here is a link to making leather handles for knives.  http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_hints_tips12.htm  They use white glue, I think it leaves it too soft for a call so I prefer epoxy.

Marvin

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
Thanks Marvin. I'm going to have to get me some leather and give that one a try. Sounds fun. Not that I'll make a habit of making them, but sounds fun to make at least one.
Braz

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »
Braz, sending you an email.

Marvin

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
WOW!!! You folks have some GREAT thoughts about this!!! I woud go with Al on this but Marvin has a great idea too. Maybe a combination of both???? You have alot of talent, make a wood/leather exhaust tht you can extend. You know that kinda slides one into the other maybe. Just brainstorming a bit...I'm SURE it'll be a great call. Can't ait to see the pictures when your done. ;D
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »
AH!  Heirloom!  NOW you have my wheels turning!   ;D

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls