Author Topic: Signing calls with an oil finish  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Signing calls with an oil finish
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »
Looking for some advice here guys.  I am getting orders from a ton of people for duck whistles, and I don't send a call out the door without at least signing my name on it.  Normally with an oil finished call I send it to the laser engraver for him to put my name or website on it, as I have always assumed that oil finishes and ink pens don't mix.  But I've had a few customers recently that are really opposed to laser engraving and want the personal touch of me writing my name on the call with an oil finish. 

Short of using a rotary tool to carve it in there by hand, does anyone have any experience or ideas on getting ink to work with an oil finish?  I usually use tung oil but occasionally velvit oil.  Locking the ink down with CA doesn't work with oil because it looks too different. 

I just worry about the ink smearing or running when the oil goes on.  Haven't tried it though. 

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Signing calls with an oil finish
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
Thats a tough one. The ink has always smeared on me when I tried it.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience in this topic, but I would just try signing with your normal in on a scrap piece of the wood intended for use, and then finish it with oil.  Kind of a test to see if it'll work or not, but without the hassle of having to redo your whistle. That's my  :2:
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Offline tolbndfishin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
I know you all use a pigma micron to sign, but have you tried one of the small tip sharpie pens?  I can't speak from experience on calls, but I've never had the name on my chainsaw smear even with the oil that always gets on it.  I know the materials discussed are different, just thought I'd try to help. You might want to give it a good 20 mins or more to set in the wood. let us know if u end up trying it.

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

woodwzrd

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
You could try an extra fine tip paint pen. I have a black, gold, and a silver one that I use on occasion under Tru-oil

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 03:07:56 PM »
India Ink and a calligraphy pen.  Dip the pen in the ink, sign, let dry.   You will have to sand the ink off if you let it dry. 
Al @ THO Game Calls

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
i sign all of my turkey calls and use tru-oil.  have never had a problem with it coming off.  i sign it, give it about 5 minutes to make sure its good and try, and then apply the oil to the call.  when i get to  my signature, i tend to dab the oil on it instead of rubbing the oil across it.  after the first coat dries, you can then rub on the other coats. 

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
Yep with my turkey calls I sign, let it dry then apply the oil, and i've never had it smear.  :bigup:
Ethan

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
  • Varmints Inc. Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »
India ink, or the Sharpie Oil Based paint pen in the extra fine point. Thats what I use. When dry it will not run or smear when wiping coats of oil over it. You still have to be careful if your going to buff the finish. Get a lot of dry coats over it before you do that. I get em on Ebay for a couple bucks each, in different colors.

My crow calls in the crow call section are signed with it, albeit, kindergarten-like writing.

BTW, the Pigma pens run and smear too.
Mark