Author Topic: Metal JC reed installation tool  (Read 27343 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Metal JC reed installation tool
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:37 AM »
Well, yes, that pen dust is affecting you. We have been talking about that. However, that aside, you raise a good question.

The tool is used for putting the sleeve into the call from the mouth end. And then, after the sleeve is secured in the call, usually with a drop or two of CA, the tool is then used to push the little tone board in, again from the mouth end. Later, when the tone board develops problems, or you just want change voices, you use the tool from the exhaust end to push the tone board out.

That is the reason that the 1/4" tool, with a step sanded into it, as shown in the picture, works so well. The larger end can be used for pushing the sleeve in and also for pushing the tone board in. Then the small, sanded end can be inserted into the sleeve for removal of the tone board.

Now, lets get back to that pen dust and what it is doing to that brain of yours!  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 07:24:57 AM »
You know, this gives me a thought.  I saw a call maker on PM do something like this years ago and thought it was neat.

But say you have a really nice call, a collectors series call or just something special, and you wanted to dress it up even more, you could get some 1/4" brass, and make an insertion tool, and include it with the call and a couple extra reeds for the customer.  A nice little touch for that special call.

Al @ THO

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »
Kind of a cool idea. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »
It was Nikonut on PM that did it a long time ago.   That's where the idea came from

AL @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
I used to make them and give them away, but that was back when I was making calls mostly for friends.  I would be leery of sending them out to just anyone, there are too many people that would lose the reed and the replacement costs could become quite high.  Some of my local people still get one, but that is an exception rather than the rule.  I will try to post a picture of mine later, from the description it sounds like it looks like the one Braz made, but with an additional smaller tip to hold the reed when it is removed.

Another thought would be the ones that have read about blading the reed, I would be willing to guess that there would be a number of reeds ruined because of the blading being done by beginners.  How many reeds will we have to replace because of their mistakes?  I foresee a nightmare being created.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
At least one commercial company makes reed replacement kits with a tool.  You get a couple reeds and the tool for like 10 bucks.

Some call makers send out, or used to send out, different reeds with their calls.

It's easy enough to send a call with a couple reeds, and include an insert that replacement reeds are available for $1.00 each from the maker.

But I understand the posabilities.  I once had a guy drop a crow call on his driveway and insist that I make him a new call because the end chipped off.  Same guy had a call for a couple years and the reed fell out and he posted that I made a lousy call.

I asked him if he ever checked the action screw on his rifle, because it was obvious to all concerned that there was a screw loose somewhere.

AL @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »
I would have sent his money back on the first incident.  Dealing locally I can pretty well "weed" out the "problem" children, it is the "idiots" on the net that can screw us over.  But they soon build their own "reputation" as buyers even on the net and can be "weeded" out.

Marvin

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
A few months ago, on my local forum, a fellow asked about getting some additional reeds. I said i could provide them for a nominal cost. The discussion continued and someone asked how a reed is put into the call. I did a short pictorial of how it is done. I only had, if I remember right, 2 guys ask for, and receive, extra reeds. And we have, at a recent count, 1400+ on the forum. I just don't think it is something that a lot of folks are interested in. Just my opinion. However, that said, I like the idea of doing it as something special for a collector call. I am getting ready to put a call up for auction on my local forum, with the money going back to the forum owner, and I may just have to include that idea. I think it is a good one.
Braz

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
Here is the one that I use. 

This shows it removing a reed. Notice how the tip holds the reed, makes it easier when changing out reeds, as they don't fall when the come out of the call and you don't have to grab hold of the fragile reed.

It will also remove the glued in sleeve if you tap it on a hard surface while stuffed up the exhaust end.  For that job I usually use a different version, it is a rod that has a block on it.

Marvin

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
Marvin, I like that little tip you put on yours. I'm going to have to modify mine that way. And yep, mine look exactly like yours except for the little tip.
Braz

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »
Thanks Braz!!  ;D ;D  And about that pen dust affecting my brain,,, well lets just say there wasn't much to work on to start with!!  ;D
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »
I am glad that this topic got started.  I have broken several of the JC Products reed tools over the years and have thought for a long time that I should take the time to make one out of metal.  So I guess I put it off long enough and today decided to see what I could do.  This one is made from aluminum, but I also picked up some brass and may have to make one from it as well.  I did the flat end like the JC Products tool since I have been used to working with those and also added a couple of cut rings on the other end where I normally want to stop pushing when installing the sleeve.

Jerry

Edited to include the brass tool that I just finished.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:59:58 PM by Hawks Feather »
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »
Looks good Jerry. I have never used the flat end for anything, so didn't put it on mine. I do like the idea for the other end, to give you an idea of when to stop pushing the sleeve in. I may have to modify mine to include that when I make the Marvin tip.
Braz

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
Jerry, how did you make the flat on the end. Did you just file it or do you have a milling machine?
Braz

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
Started with a 1" belt sander and then a file.  Just take your time and it is pretty easy to do.

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/