Author Topic: Hand-Carved Elk Call, My First Carved Elk Call  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Marshall's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Hand-Carved Elk Call, My First Carved Elk Call
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
Well, I started with a square block of basswood, thanks Steve!, and used nothing but a knife to whittle it down to shape. Then I sanded it, drew the bull elk on the call, and carved it out with my knives. Finished it with linseed oil. What do you guys think?? Comments appreciated, as is criticism. Thanks for Looking!
David

David Marshall, of Marshall's Custom Calls

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Hand-Carved Elk Call, My First Carved Elk Call
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »
There you go David!  That's a pretty good start with hand tools.  If at all possible you want to watch the pointy edges (antlers tips)and maybe ease them down, so they don't catch and rip off.  -You can also lightly apply some CA glue to those areas before finishing to strengthen them.
A stippling punch can be made by blunting the point of a 10 Common nail (or other size nails).  Then you can gently use it to stipple the background around the carving. [a series of small random dimples tapped into the wood to a uniform depth]. That will make it look more pronounced.  You can actually buy stippling punchs with various designs on them for enhancing backgrounds.
On your elks face, I would carve a gentle side ways "J" to form the jaw line. Maybe a few detail lines in the mane to make it stand out?  -Look at a relief carving as a series of layers... Once you set the outline of the carving..Look at what layer would be the deepest down, and what would be the closest to the surface?  Don't get too engrossed in fine detail right off.  Work on carving in the main muscle or hide groups first.  You can add detail later.
It just takes alittle practice.  Looks like you are off to a good start. :2up:

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Thanks! I get what you mean with the antler points as well as the dimples. I'll try both of those. I get what you mean with the detail lines in the mane and face and all of that. I'm just wondering, will I be able to do that after I've finished it with the linseed oil??
And I don't really know what you mean by a relief carving? Or carving the main muscle or hiding groups first?

Thank you very much!

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
David, your carving is what is called "relief carving".  The surface surrounding the carving is relieved, or lowered so to speak.
The beauty of a Linseed, or oil type finish is that you can just reapply another application of the oil and it will blend right in.  So don't be afraid to continue making changes, or adding detail to your carving.
Below are a couple of examples of Teak oil finished calls. -They are "relief carved".  The top one is Red Alder, the bottom is Black Walnut.  Notice how on the areas that would be white in color on a coyote (under the muzzle, inside ears, etc) I left them untextured and smooth.  Then when oiled, it contrasts with the darker textured areas.  Use that knowledge on your carvings.  Doesn't matter the animal.

I've carved a few elk in my day.  Right now without doing a massive search, below is a simple carving I did on a Stag horn knife.  I used minimum paint, and tried to incorporate the knarled surface of the antler in the body of the elk.  See the jaw line, and simple mane detail.  The human eye can only comprehend so much detail..So focus on the big details that stand out.  Anything you see below can be accomplished on wood.   :yes:

Practice getting the basics down first such as you are doing.  It will suddenly come to you, and you'll take notice of the things I described.  It took me a while.  Al and the others can remember some of my first attempts. LOL!

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
HOLY COW!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Those are incredible...
And they look so real! I'm gonna try some of the things you told me.. And then I'll post pictures up if I'm able to.. I am kinda afraid to try changing things on the elk though... I'm worried I'll mess it up.. I might try to do a coyote or maybe a crow next.. I've got a crow insert that I want to make a call for. i would love to make the elk look better, but I'm just afraid of ruining it..

Thanks so much for the help, it will be taken to heart and practiced,
David

Offline tolbndfishin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
Im not a carver, so I cant advise on technique.  What i will say, is while you are worried about "messing up" what you've done on that elk, think about the base (or foundation) that elk can be to develop your skills.  If you have a specific purpose for that call, beyond just learning and improving your skills (read those last few words again) then leave it alone.  If the purpose is as I stated as much as anything else, then try some things, see what comes of them.  Might want to practice the stippling technique some before doing it on that call, but i wouldnt be scared of messing it up, because you are in the beginning stages (and coming along very nicely i might add) of something you will hopefully be doing for the rest of your life.  Learn all you can, and dont be scared, cause you might surprise yourself and be very pleased with what you come up with.  Just my  :2:

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Dan,

Your  :2: are greatly appreciated. Thank you. I will practice stippling on the pieces of wood I've chopped off of my blanks. And thanks for the input, it really helps.
Just a make-sure-remark, the stippling can be done with a type 10 nail? What's a type 10 nail? Is it basically a nail that's been dulled, or what?

David

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
I just gave an example of a nail size and tossed out a No.10.  Used to be nails were sold by the pound.  The bigger the number, the bigger the nail (and less nails to the pound).  You can take any nail and file the point round (or leave it pointy), and use it to dent the wood (stipple). Whatever works, and you have on hand.
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
 :gitrdone:Okay. Thanks. Thatll give me some busy work while watching tv.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 05:15:12 AM »
Darn nice David!! That is a heckuva start right there. Plue the rest of the advice you've gotten in this thread alone is invaluable. You are coming along rather well. Keep hammeringaway at it & you will get there!!!!!!  :2up: :2up:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
Thanks Glenn! And I did the stippling last night on a block, figures it wasn't too difficult, so I did it around the elk. Next I'm gonna try adding detail to the face.

Offline tolbndfishin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Now THAT'S what im talking about.  Making firewood to learn a new technique and to make the one's you know even better is never a bad thing.  If it so happens you make something nice, then all the better.  Keep at it, and dont ever lose the desire to push yourself.  That's how you get to making things as nice as what these guys on here make that i sit in awe of everyday.

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
I'm right with you in the "standing there in awe" part... It's rediculous... I see some of this work and the only thing I can do is sit there and laugh.. utterly amazed. But hopefully I can practice enough to reach that level by the time I'm an adult. Hopefully.