Author Topic: Spar varnish vs Spar urathane  (Read 4044 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Spar varnish vs Spar urathane
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:48:48 PM »

Is there a difference between spar varnish and spar urathane?  I was in at Lowes today, and walked down the wood finishing aisle, and noticed these two next to each other.  Is one preferred versus the other?

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
Re: Spar varnish vs Spar urathane
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:57:49 AM »
I believe the difference between the two is that the varnish will provide a water proof finish while the urethane will provide a water resistent finish....
Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Spar varnish vs Spar urathane
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »
Spar Varnish gets it't name from days of old when it was used to coat the Spars of ships and boats.  It is water resistant and has UV inhibitors in it. 

But then so does Spar Urethane.   

And then youhave Spar Urethane Varnish.

I don't know the actual difference between them, but one would assume that one is a Polyurethane finish while the other is a varnish.  But again, I don't know. 

I do know that some duck call makers use one or the other and seem to have good luck with it.

From past experiance, varnish is pretty easy to repair, but poly is the exact opposite, very hard to fix once damaged. 

If it were me, I would choose the varnish over the urethene if I were to use one.  But that's just me.

AL @ THO