Author Topic: Using die  (Read 9733 times)

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
Using die
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »
Being new to stabilizing and playing with die. I have only died a few things, so how much die should I use? I died some maple blue and it came out camo green about the shade I wanted but not blue. I died some birch brown and used more die and it barely tinted them, one was darker but not quite what I wanted. I know it depends some on the wood but is there any amount that would be a place to start that would give a little more consistant outcome? Just don't want to waist to much juice. Thanks for any help 
Wane

Zumbrocalls

Re: Using die
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
Wane,  You need to go about ten shades darker with the resin than the finish color. You have to overcome the natural color of the wood. I  have a mixture that works pretty well . Good luck   Troy

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
Thanks. I have been mixing in a pint jar, on the predator call that is green camo i put 5 drops of blue die. That turned out great but they were green instead of blue but that turned out good. So with the brown I put 6 drops in the pint. guess I will have to step it up a little, again thank you.
Wane

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
I don't measure in drops.  I use squirts!  Even then, I just keep adding dye until it is quite dark, almost black.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com
MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice stabilizing resin

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
I thought it was pretty dark but I'll go a lot darker, still just playing. Thank you.
Wane

Offline Hoop Franklin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:41 AM »
Don't mean to highjack your post here but where is the best place to buy some dye at? Thanks

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »
Curtis at TurnTex has die, you can call him to see what colors he has. I think he has 5 or 6 on his site. Amazon has some, I googled it Alumilite dyes and found it at several places.
Wane

Offline Hoop Franklin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
I noticed those bottles were only an ounce.............what else do you mix with it.........Thanks :yes:

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
I noticed those bottles were only an ounce.............what else do you mix with it.........Thanks :yes:

They're dying the stabilizing resin Hoop, not just dying the wood.  The resin is what the entire stabilizing process is based on.   

If you want to dye wood that isn't being stabilized, you can do so with just about any dye used for woodworking or dying t-shirts.  I've had the best results with Trans Tint dyes mixed with alcohol. 

Offline Jon Kennedy Custom Calls

• CCM
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Hoop! there are other dyes available that work for stabilizing! not just Alumilight!
Jon

Offline Hoop Franklin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
Thanks guys........I'm just wanting to dye the wood when I get the call off the lathe.......dont wanna stabilize anything cause to be honest I would have a better chance at learning rocket science :huh: :huh: :huh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ::)

Offline Ozark Wood

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
I guess you mean "dye" as in coloring.
I don't dye. Putting a colorant in my tank ruins the entire batch of solution. I would have to discard 2 - 3 gallons of solution to start over with clear. Very expensive way to go and I don't like waste of any kind.

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
We don't waist any resin. We reuse the colored resin thenext time we want to color wood. The resin we use can be used More than once. After you use it several time it is not clear anymore so you add dye to it and use it up. It set up by baking in an oven.
Wane

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Steel Rain Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
I may be a little thick headed here but I got A couple of questions.

1. How exactly do you dye the wood without doing it during stabilization?
2. Is there any kind of tutorial that would show how to do it?

Thanks for reading! I just saw the post and thought about giving it a shot if it was not too expensive.
Custom made calls for the average hunter at a price you can count on.

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »
If you are not stabilizing and want to die wood I would call it more staining, it mainly just get the surface unless you have a vacuum to put it into to get the deep penetration.
Wane