Author Topic: question about finishing amboyna burl  (Read 10716 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: question about finishing amboyna burl
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
Dave, time and time again you prove that you are THE MAN.   :bow:  Thanks for that explanation.  Relieved to hear that I'm not losing my mind.  The next one's getting CA'd. 

Offline tolbndfishin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
Ty for the info, I haven't stopped thinking about it all afternoon.  That's an interesting behavior, and good to know.  If finished with ca, will it still do it on the inside of the call, or because I'm not adding any oil will it not happen?  If I use blo as a grain fill and the  finish with ca, am I opening myself back up to that where the ca isn't on the inside?  Thanks again for the info

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Humm . . . so explain why I experienced this not using an oil as part of the finish.  I used a brushed on lacquer for the only finish coat and still had this issue.  I still believe it is a living mold excreating through the wood fibers.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 05:30:49 AM »
It can still happen on Amboyna with a CA finish on something as small as a pen. I've had it happen on Amboyna/CA & on another oily wood with CA. It escapes me at this time but I think it may have been one in the Rosewood Family.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »
Without seeing it under high magnification theres no way to determine if its mold...Molds however, need a high moisture environment inorder to operate, we're talking above FSP (27%) Moisture content.  If a call is that high in moisture there are other problems.  Then there's the fact that most finishes have a small amount of biocide in them to prevent molds, etc from forming. 
It's still a matter of how permeable the finish is?  As long as a gas (air) can move through the surface, the problem will potentially exist.  People think of a finish as a solid film.  It is not.  Think of it like a bunch of marbles in a layer. -There are still gaps no matter how tightly packed the marbles are bunched.
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Without seeing it under high magnification theres no way to determine if its mold...Molds however, need a high moisture environment inorder to operate, we're talking above FSP (27%) Moisture content.  If a call is that high in moisture there are other problems.  Then there's the fact that most finishes have a small amount of biocide in them to prevent molds, etc from forming. 
It's still a matter of how permeable the finish is?  As long as a gas (air) can move through the surface, the problem will potentially exist.  People think of a finish as a solid film.  It is not.  Think of it like a bunch of marbles in a layer. -There are still gaps no matter how tightly packed the marbles are bunched.
Interesting indeed.  In my case the burl used in the panels were air dried much below 10%.  Perhaps using the word mold is not correct.  Clearly something was leaching out becoming visible in a light gray color on the surface of the call panels.  The puzzle remains.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »
Here's a pic of what I experienced with the oil finish on the amboyna.  Wipe it off and it comes back a few days later.   :huh:

Disregard the scratches on the mouthpiece end.  The other night I heard a duck whistle noise from the kitchen, where this thing was sitting in the window above the sink.  My 2-1/2 year old son Zack had stripped himself totally naked, climbed (silently) up onto the kitchen counter by grabbing the sink and using his sticky little feet like spider man, and was standing in the window blowing the duck whistle.  He chewed the crap out of it.   :rofl:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:33:13 AM by Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks »

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
You sure Vince hasn't been havin some influence on that boy? you know that NInja stuff and all. better buy him some Ninja PJ's.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
You sure Vince hasn't been havin some influence on that boy? you know that NInja stuff and all. better buy him some Ninja PJ's.

Ha!  He does have some ninja-esque qualities.  He hits, he bites, he operates silently and he throws things at your head with exceptional accuracy.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
Bettter stop anymore visits by Vince. He obviously is a bad influnce. Espeially when he wears that Ninja suit of his.  :rofl:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”