Author Topic: Almost bowfishing time!  (Read 4490 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Almost bowfishing time!
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »

The cottonwood trees are starting to drop some cotton. And around here, that means the carp are about ready to spawn. It's really early compared to last year, but that is the theme for this spring. Everything is early.   And I am ready! :gunsmilie:

Who else out the does a little bowfishing. There are a few I know of.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Final Strut Custom Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Final Strut Custom Game Calls
Re: Almost bowfishing time!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
Bowfishing is something I have always wanted to do. I love to shoot archery. In fact I would rather go to the archery range than the rifle range. I have an older Carbon Extreme bow laying on the shelf that I have been toying with the idea of setting up for bowfishing. This just might be the year. We have a lake about 20 miles from me that is just loaded with carp. I would just need to find someone with a boat.
The call maker formerly know as woodwzrd

Check out my call albums on photobucket
http://s909.photobucket.com/profile/Scott_Strangfeld
and my facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Finalstrutcustomgamecalls

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »

You don't need a boat when they are spawning.  When they are spawning, they are up in the shallows splashing around.  At times, half their body is out of the water because the water is that shallow.  I just find some nice flats with some shallow water, and wade out after them.  If you get a lot of rain, and the creeks are out of their banks, that is a perfect time as well, because the fish will be up in the shallows and grassy areas, splashing around.  I've shot more fish in my waders than I have in a boat.  Starting around June thru the rest of the summer is when boat settups are handy.  I'm not into it as much as those folks who have a generator and flood lights on their boat to fish at night.  But I do take advantage of the spring spawn to have a little fun throwing arrows at em.  Just find some shallows where there are fish splashing around and get after them.  Gar also spawn about the same time, so there are usually multiple species to chase.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline greenwell1978

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
We have already shot at least 500 fish this year. Carp gar and buffs

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »

Got any pics John?

Brian

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »

I got a chance to go out for a while yesterday evening after work, and this afternoon. We've had about 2" of rain the past few days. The local lake is still at winter pool levels, and there is a lot of smartweed on the flats and islands. The rain has raised the lake level a lot, and large areas of the smartweed are in 6-20" of water. And that is where the carp and gar are at right now spawning. Here are some that I got pics of today:

I am going after them again tomorrow.

Brian

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
Very nice Brian, and looks like fun too. An you eat them? Sure nice size to them.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
Ya know :huh:  have a MoMarsh sitting here and I've never thought of using it for bow fishing! 
That's a nice size buff!  I bet they pull you around white a bit in it.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

Braz, they aren't much for eating for my liking.  Some folks like gar, and I've had it before, but it is a ton of work to clean em.

Jon, that MoMarsh works great for bowfishing.  It gets back into that skinny water really well where the fish are at right now.  I could have walked around in the water with my hip boots since the water was really shallow, but that boat helps slip into places quieter than walking through the water.  Another plus for the MoMarsh is that you have a better vantage point shooting down at the fish, as opposed to standing in knee deep water shooting at them.  I need to get me a push pole for it, to maneuver around a little easier.  My paddle is doing just fine now, but I think a pole would be easier. 

Brian

Offline ducksndogs05

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »
I had a blast tonight, when the river rises or falls, there is a spillway that flows, and there are always fish getting in or out. I remember when i was a kid, it was buffalo, now its just asian carp.

here is a two bird with one stone.... er a two fish one arrow

this is the biggest one iv caught

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »

That big one in the last pic sure is a hog!  I bet it was fun pulling him in. I hope to shoot one that large some day.

Here are a couple more from today:

It was a good day today. I shot quite a few fish, and had more hits than misses. I saw a giant gar for this area, but only saw him for a split second before it disappeared. It was about as big around as softball. I hate gar. The little ones arent easy to hit with an arrow. Quite a few of the smaller gar were chasing shad today, and you could see them swimming around with the shad in their mouth. The shad were too big for them to swallow, but they would just swim around like that.

Brian

Offline aprilheadhunter

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
My friends are planning our 2nd trip to the Illinois river to shoot silvers the same weekend I'm gonna be in Wichita with the wife for a concert.   :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
" May turkeys be the judge of my calls for as long as I can convince hunters to use them!"-Parker

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
How bad do you want to go bow fishing?  Bad enough to bring your bow and buy a Kansas permit?
 :devil2: :devil2:
I've got two momarsh boats sitting out back....see how well BigB is doing from one?  Go ahead and put your bow in the trunk when you come down, I'm sure she will understand! :devil2:
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain