Author Topic: Antler used for a grunt call  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Hayseedboy

• New Forum Member
    • Smokin' in the Dark
Antler used for a grunt call
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »
Hey All,

I know that I have seen many on this site.  Does antler cause any difference in sound?  I realize that most of the sound is generated thru the plastic tube but would antler create a problem at all in creating a great sound?  Would it make a good field call or a collectors call?

Thanks!
lr
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:58:51 PM by Hayseedboy »
"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

"Look in the sky, it's a bird, no it's a plane... no I forgot to tight the jaws on my chuck!"

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Antler used for a grunt call
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:10:12 AM »
Antler will be just about the same as wood.  The biggest problem with antler is finding pieces that are long enough.  My all wood grunt calls are usually close to the same dimensions as the plastic tube version.  With antler finding a piece that can be drilled is not always possible.  In my opinion your best bet is laminating antler and wood to get the lengths you need.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Bill

Re: Antler used for a grunt call
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:29 AM »
I have made a couple grunts out of antler and They make and awesome grunt both of the grunts I made are in the field this year looking for that bigg buck  you will need atleast 7 1/2 inches of antler and it is tough to find.

Although be creative with it and give it a try.

Bill