Author Topic: Predator Toneboard by Kyle Gudmunsen (lazyMlazyK)  (Read 8797 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
Predator Toneboard by Kyle Gudmunsen (lazyMlazyK)
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
I've been working on my predator call toneboards, and thought I'd share my process with you all.  I'm sure there's other folks with different techniques they use, but this is mine and thought maybe it'd help someone.  I use 5/8" delrin for the toneboard, but wood or other substitutes could also be used.  Here we go:

Start by cutting your material to length:

I then mount the 5/8" delrin rod into a collet chuck and true the end:

After truing the end, I also like to create a small divot in the middle of the stock to help guide a drill bit:

Then, put a couple grooves into one end of the stock to let your adhesive material (epoxy, jb weld, etc.) "stick" the mouthpiece and call together better.  (Note: some people prefer o-rings instead of permanent adhesive.  Cut grooves according to your needs.)

Next, drill your tonechannel with whichever size bit you desire.  Smaller diameter, shallower tonechannels will produce a higher pitch.  Larger diameter, deeper tonechannels will produce a lower pitch.  Length of tonechannel also makes a pitch difference.

(Note: some call makers also like to drill a second hole following the tonechannel hole, making a larger hole in the exhaust end to create/modify backpressure. I have not noticed much of a difference in my sound by doing this, but some might.)

Flip the stock around and true up the other end:

Now you've got predator toneboards ready for shaping and tuning:

After you've got your toneboards drilled and turned with grooves, insert them into a jig or freehand your slope:

I made the above jig based off of a toneboard I freehanded to get my sound.

Next, cut some of the toneboard material off and take to a sander or hand file.

Take off the rough edges, cut a reed and it's ready to put into a call!

Hope this helps someone!

P.S. - Sorry for the blurry/over-and-undersized pics., I had to use my phone for the process.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:50:35 PM by lazyMlazyK »
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Ace243

Re: Predator Toneboard by Kyle Gudmunsen (lazyMlazyK)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
What material are you using for your reed?

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
Re: Predator Toneboard by Kyle Gudmunsen (lazyMlazyK)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
I use mylar of varying thicknesses.  .01"- .014" generally.
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787