Author Topic: insert finish or not?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Brian @ Wicked Wood Calls

• New Forum Member
insert finish or not?
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
I just got a toneboard jig and ready to get started making inserts.This will be my first of many tries at making an insert. With that being said, will it affect the sound of the call if I do not put a finish on the insert? I'm sure there will be some fire wood being made before getting a decent sound, so I didn't want to waste alot of time on finishing if it doesn't have an affect. Also, what is a cheap wood with a good tone to begin with? I don't see many maple or walnut inserts, but do see alot of osage and was thinking about starting with the osage.
Brian

Offline tolbndfishin

• New Forum Member
Re: insert finish or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
There was a post on toneboard materials recently (jan or feb, i think).  As far as finishing the insert, isnt necessary, especially when you're just working on getting your sound. 

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,11276.msg85392.html#msg85392
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,13174.msg100088.html#msg100088
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,401.msg3570.html#msg3570

There are more.  Do a search, see what you find.  Lots of opinions on the subject floating around here.  Cedar is what I use in my calls, and it's pretty cheap, but is by no means the only option.

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
will it affect the sound of the call if I do not put a finish on the insert?

This is a personal preference for a lot of folks.  When learning to make your toneboards, I wouldn't worry about a finish.  When you get close to having your toneboard perfected, I would worry about it then.  As we all know, moisture makes woods expand and contract.  If you don't finish a wooden toneboard, then there is a chance that the sound will change once the caller has used it a lot, or it naturally picks up moisture from the humidy of the water source we hunt around.  The outside of the toneboard doesn't need a finish as much as the toneboard arc and tonechannel does.  Most folks use Velvit oil on their wood toneboards to help keep out moisture.

Also, what is a cheap wood with a good tone to begin with? I don't see many maple or walnut inserts, but do see alot of osage and was thinking about starting with the osage.
Maple is hard to tune, and walnut seems to change shape over time and not hold its original tune.  So, that is why you don't see those woods a lot.  Hedge is a good one to start with, as well as cocobolo and african blackwood.

Good luck on your quest for toneboards.  Post up your progress as you go along, and keep good notes.  It can be frustrating, but also very rewarding when you make a toneboard that you would be proud to use duck hunting.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Brian,
Times two on what BigB said.  But I want to emphasis on the taking notes part.  This will drastically increase your learning curve.  I take notes on everything, you would not believe how much you will go back time and again and look at these notes. 

Good luck

Jason

P.S. Take notes. :yes: