Author Topic: What have I been up to? (pic heavy)  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• Custom Call Maker
What have I been up to? (pic heavy)
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:07:15 AM »
Well, a lot. I have been spending much too much time becoming a song bird carver lately :hysterical: (my first one) Somehow my brother convinced me that I'd be good at it and has been begging to see what a songbird by me would look like (that's what he carves mostly) so I choose the Indigo Bunting I've also been doing a canvas goose for about two months. :wacko: My first one of those as well. Goose was made using almost only hand tools. Tell me what ya'll think about my humble first tries. I put my all into these ones ~Andre
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:13:06 AM by Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude »

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: What have I been up to? (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
You are blessed with talent young man!  Very, very nice. :bigup:

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
Very nice.  I hope your brother doesn't see that and give up carving.  Your eye for detail is unbelievable.
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline Justin at JM Woodworking

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
That bird is amazing man!  :bow:
AKA FranchiFowler

Offline Troy@greengrass

• CCM
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
Wow  Andre that bird looks alive . You are doing a great job, keep it up!!!!   Troy

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
Just terrific Ande. Keep it us and make us all look bad!  :rofl:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
Indigo Bunting is my favorite bird!

Nice work!  Can't wait to see the finished products!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Crawdad

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Indigo Bunting is my favorite bird!

Nice work!  Can't wait to see the finished products!

Vince
   If it get's anymore finished, it's going to fly away. Nice going Andre. :bow:

Offline Truly Custom Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Truly Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Phenomenal talent man.  Keep it up and the pics coming. :bigup:
Custom Waterfowl, Deer, and Predator Calls
Bring'em with Style
www.trulycustomcalls.com

Offline Longntooth

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »
Andre',   Since you are from Louisiana, I am startin to think you might be walkin in Tan Burnetts footsteps, and its rubbin off on you, and that's not a bad thing!  Kitch
Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting for your kids

Offline Longntooth

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Andre',   Since you are from Louisiana, I am startin to think you might be walkin in Tan Burnetts footsteps, and its rubbin off on you, and that's not a bad thing!  Kitch
Thats "Tan Brunet" on the spelling. Sorry about that for those of you who may have not known who it is and tried to look it up.

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:42:59 AM »
Thanks so much everyone!
Parker- I hope I'm doing your favorite bird justice then. (it's one of my favorites as well)
Kitch- It's funny you mention him. I live about a 4min drive away from him, he is my dad's patient, he knows that I'm an upcoming carver, and I only met him twice. Funny way I did end up meeting him. He somehow found out that I was good at turning and wanted me to make a walking cane shaft for him. It was for a piece that he wanted DU to cast and mass produce. I visited him for probably 5hrs just talking. He had so many stories and knew so much about old cajun life (an amazing story teller) I felt like I should have been writing it down to make a book. He showed me his original paintings, things he was working on, castings that DU were going to eventually sell and ones that were turned down, and even some of Jett Brunets original miniatures. Yep, if you couldn't tell he is a legend for me. I hope you're right about being in his footsteps, because those are some good one to be in. Have you met/known him? ~Andre

Offline Longntooth

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 07:13:03 PM »
Andre', no I do not know Mr. Brunet, but have always admired his talent.  A number of years (30 or more), I fooled around carving some decoys, and used a wood burning tool.  Mr. Brunet was kind of an innovator in the art of detailing feathers with a wood burning tool, and I tried to emulate his techniques. I got pretty good at it, but life and raising 5 kids kinda got in the way of my carving.  I was always amazed at how his decoys looked so life-like.  You are on the right path young man, just stay at it, and follow your passion!  Kitch

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
If you get a chance to sit and listen to Mr. Brunets stories again ask if you can record them.
Id love to hear some of the old Cajun hunters stories.  He's someone that truly brings life to a piece of wood. 
I've thought about trying a songbird someday but haven't made it that far yet.  Can't wait to see paint on it!  The goose is sharp looking also.  Do you plan on hunting it?
Handmade decoys, handmade calls, all you need is to make a boat and you'd have the trifecta!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
JR-I did plan on hunting the goose. More as a confidence decoy than anything since we don't really get geese over here often. Recording what Mr.Tan said would open the eyes of many to how hard life was years ago on the bayou. He knew lot's of old methods to making things that very few still use. Tradition dies hard.

Try out a songbird! The things to remember is that you need to study the bird you pick in detail, have at least a mental picture of the final result, figure out what you're going to carve/paint before you do it and decide why you're doing it. The only other thing I could say is to take your time (no need to rush unless you have a competition in two weeks like me :hysterical:) and make it for yourself to please YOU. Take heed to what others say and ask many questions though. I need to carve that in the wall of my shop I think :hysterical: with the heading KEY TO SUCCESS

Kitch- Thanks again. Cool to learn all of that and I hope one day you'll have the time to try again or teach a young'n because there isn't many of us that care about carving/call making. ~Andre