Author Topic: Updated Pot call advice  (Read 19894 times)

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
Updated Pot call advice
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
Ok,

After everyone weighed in, i think i might have done what the correct thing.  Please let me know if i am missing something now.  Please let me know what you think.

Pedestal Height     1/4
Pedestal Over Diamers   1  3/8
Pedestal Inside Diameter   1     
Pedestal wall thickness     3/16
Soundboard to playing surface distance     3/32

Overall Call Height     3/4
Playing Surface ledge width     3/32
Sound Holes Diameter   
Middle     1/2
Outside     1/2
Playing Surface   Slate
Soundboard   Glass

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
Re: Updated pot call advice
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:52 AM »
Its just my 2 cents but i think 1 3/8 outside diameter is 3/8th to big from my experience with my pot 1 in is max but, i dont hollow out my pedistal anymore.  My pedistal is solid 7/8 to 1 in depending on what i want in the call.  Ill let larry or one of the other pros weigh in.  But thats my 2 cents

Adam

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:04:30 AM »
I'm not sure where the 1/2" holes came from?  I've found a large amount of overly large holes to be overkill, and doesn't allow the call to resonate correctly.  I'm pretty sure my outside ring holes (8 of them) are 9/32".

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
I use a mandrel to turn my pots so i have a center hole to start with.  I keep trying to keep the ped smaller but never can quite get it down and then i have to keep the wall thickness of the ped so it ends up with this diameter almost every time.

Thanks for the tips guys

Offline Straight-N-Arrow

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
I think there is a lot of great starting information here for the newbie's. We all seem to tweak things some as we get going. Thanks for posting!

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
Im with parker.  IMO you have to many big holes.  I feel that when you put to many big holes in the bottom of your pot you limit the amount of re-verberations which could make the call off.  I know this from my own experiences starting out.  My holes are also atleast 1/4 away from the inside edge of the pot and I will explain this in a second.  Also IMO your sound pedistal is still to big but, as I stated before I dont cut the inside of mine out in the middle.  I can explain reverb like this.  Im a SSG in the US army Im an explosive breeching instructor.  When an explosion happens the more contained the area of the explosion the more you get knocked on your can and the wave bounces around.  The less the contained area your blast disapates to the or through the open area causing less shock.  Sound runs walls ( Almost the same as an explosion) by giving that 1/4 in from the inside edge it allows the reverb to contain alittle more.  Dont get confused your sound board plays the largest part in this.  This is why some of these guys say the space the edge of the SB a tooth pick away from the inside edge (It allows for the vibration/sound to run on to the SB correct)  If you think about where you start a yelp on a Friction call its close to the outside edge (Higher pitched outside/Lower in the middle).  Bellow is my two cents

1.  If your gonna make 1/2 holes limit the amount of them to 5 at the very most.  So you should have 4 outside and 1 center basic rules of sound holes, more holes THE RIGHT SIZE the louder the call is/ less holes THE RIGHT SIZE quiter 
2.  I still think you should shrink you pedistal down.

Hope this helps its my experience only Im not a big writer so maybe it confused you more.

Adam

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
Sorry about the spelling errors I forgot to hit spell check :oops:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:53:24 AM by prout09 »

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
I am a little confused but i will keep trying

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
 :huh: Well I am also confused. I gave you some measurements if you follow them fine if not fine too or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about so in another light it is fine to make your call the way you did in the one above. Is it right or wrong as in sound good or bad?  :huh: I don't know thats not how I make them so glue it up and give it a try and you tell us if it works my calls are on the top of the heap in the sound department and I also know Parkers are dead on also and I also know Prout09 is right on track for the sound. Let us know how it works for you as we have shared our experiences with you and others. Thank you,

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
I am trying to follow what everyone has told me.  I use a mandrel to make mine so i even moved my sound hole down to 1/2 which is as small i can make it I do my best to keep my pedestal small but i don't know how thick the walls of the pedestal should be, does it matter at all?

I have adjust my distance from soundboard to playing surface to 1/16 to 3/32.  I do my best to keep the pedestal at 1/4 tall and the playing surface shelf is no wider than 1/8.  My last couple calls have started to sound good, although the rollover is more toward the center than the outside edge, but its getting better.

I keep posting because i am adjusting as you guys suggest.  The pedestal thing has me screwed up and everyone has a different opinion on it and from looking at other calls, they are all over the place.  I do not mean to make anyone think i am ungrateful or not trying, I am.

Thanks for all the help.

Jason

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
Your center 1/2" sound hole is perfectly fine if it has to be that size.  Just knock the other ones down......either in size or number. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
Will do, thanks

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
Everyone has made good points and not all of us make our calls similar.  So there is no right or wrong way.  Just a combination of different features that work really well, mediocre, or not at all. 

To illustrate that and probably confuse you even more, I'm going to respectfully disagree with those that say that your holes are too big/too many, as though doing it that way will ruin the call.  You're doing the exact same thing I do on every one of my calls right there.  There are eight half inch holes in my calls and one in the middle and I assure you that my calls sound just fine.   :2:

What you should find out through experimentation is if your particular pot design has a need for less holes, smaller holes, etc.  One of the hardest things about working on getting good sound from your calls is only changing one thing at a time.  With turkey calls that is extra frustrating because you have to glue the surface and soundboard in before you know the result of that change.  But that's what you've got to do. 

What kind of sound are you getting, or what is lacking in your sound since you've made the suggested changes on previous pots?  How much attention are you giving to strikers?  Trying different shapes/lengths/weights/materials? 

Brad Robinson

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
:huh: Well I am also confused. I gave you some measurements if you follow them fine if not fine too or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about so in another light it is fine to make your call the way you did in the one above. Is it right or wrong as in sound good or bad?  :huh: I don't know thats not how I make them so glue it up and give it a try and you tell us if it works my calls are on the top of the heap in the sound department and I also know Parkers are dead on also and I also know Prout09 is right on track for the sound. Let us know how it works for you as we have shared our experiences with you and others. Thank you,

Larry
All i Know is the moment i shortened my distance up on the sb like Larry suggested I got immediate positive results.
You da man Larry.
I played around with pedestal dimensions after wards and noticed a difference in rasp.
 I played around with sound hole diameters and numbers and i got a difference in volume. I did not notice any difference other than sound, but i only made a few pots with larger holes.  I am now playing around with no center hole. I hope to have some results soon.  A big Thanks to Larry for getting me started with the sounds.

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:37 AM »
HMMMM :huh: I have no center hole and use 1/4 and 3/8 sound holes works for me and my customers like the sound. 
Just as everyone that makes calls you have to find what you want to hear out of a call and go from there took 2 years of good and bad to find what I was looking for and allot of firewood.
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small