Author Topic: Brick pattern  (Read 34535 times)

Offline pdaniel1982

• New Forum Member
  • Daniel Custom Calls
Brick pattern
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
Could someone. Please explain how to lay out your blank to cut a brick pattern in a call i love that look but cant find any where that shows how to glue it up!! And if its a long post just PM me thanks so much!!!

Paul

Offline jawaterfowl

• New Forum Member
  • Jonathan Arp
Re: Brick pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
x2
Jonathan Arp

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »
Here is a start for ya. I did a quick search through Gooseforsupper's posts. He is one of the masters at brickwork. I'm sure he has posted other "how to" tutorials so check into it a little more.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,7793.msg60026.html#msg60026
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
I'll give it a go....First off a big thanks to jjgoose for inspiring and helping me to do what little brickwork I do, Jason is a master of the glue up. Another master at the glue up that comes to mind is gooseforsupper Doug does some awesome work as well. Thanks for all your help guys.

So hopefully this will be helpful and inspire you guys to try it.

First I re-saw some thins on the bandsaw about 1/8th in. pieces you can purchase thin stock if you if you choose. I cut it into strips around 1 1/2in. in width. I take a blank and split it in half.

I cut the thins to lenght and glue them in between the halfs, I use titebond 3 or Elmers probond glue. I allow the glue to set for an hour or so and cut the blank once more, glue up your second thin between the halfs clamp and let set overnight. It should look like this.

After glue sets, I drill 1/4in hole through the center, its important that you drill dead center which can be very difficult to do the whole lenght of the blank at one time. Its easier to cut the sections and drill the center in most cases. I choose to drill the whole blank on this call and managed to get off center. This effects the mortar lines and appearance of the call so make sure to get your hole dead center.

I chose to use a mitersaw and a stop block to cut my brick sections, however you choose to cut them make sure they are cut straight.

Then cut more thins for your cross section mortar joints and drill 1/4in. hole on center.

Then dry fit pieces stacking everything on a 1/4 dowel including my blackwood caps not shown in this picture.

After a dry run I start the gluing process make sure to have a damp cloth and paper towels handy, it can be messy.

Now you'll need to stagger the mortar joints by turning every other section align the joints accordingly. split each brick with a joint above and below just like laying brick. Then clamp.... I drilled a hole in my Irwin clamp that allows for the dowel to stick through, you'll want to use some wax paper to limit the glue to sticking to your clamp or clamps.

Allow blank to dry over night, I trim corners off to allow for an easier start to turning and limit breaking off pieces. Chuck between centers and turn.

Once round I put my 4 jaw chuck on the lathe center and clamp the blank I then drill a 5/8 hole all the way through.

Now the blank is mounted on a 5/8 expandable mandrel to turn on center to the disired shape.

Sand and finish, I put a CA finish on this call.
On to the insert...
After turning my 5/8 tennon I chuck the insert in a collet chuck and turn down the ehaust end to 1/2in tennon to allow stacking a brick section and cap on the exhaust end.

Drill the sections for the insert and glue them on.

Then turn the insert to disired shape, sand, drill tone channel put on a finish and cut toneboard.

Then tune that baby up and put er together.

Hedge/Cherry/African Blackwood
Its not perfect but its not bad...now lay some brick.  Ron
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »
That is a heck of a call Ron!! Very nice step by step process also. Thanks for posting it for us to see.  :bigup:
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline jawaterfowl

• New Forum Member
  • Jonathan Arp
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
Pretty work on that Ron.  Definately makes it easier to understand.  Thanks so much for the tutorial!!!!  :bigup:
Jonathan Arp

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
WOW! I just sit here mesmerized while looking at that Ron, great job,. I think even I might be able to pull that off with the instructions you gave. Gonna try it. :thanks:

birddog1

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:29:39 AM »
Ron you just open up a whole new  can of worms thats just nice !!!!! Now I have to try it

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »
Great Tutorial Ron! Beatiful call!!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:50 AM »
Thank you Ron for that great tutorial!  Knowing the time involved to assemble the whole thing..The folks here are truly appreciative. :bigup:  What a beautiful call to boot!  Well done!

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline GioTurns

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial    :bigup: I'm certainly inspired to give it a try.

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
Beautiful.  Awesome tutorial.  You made it sound easy enough for even me to do it.  Thanks.
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
Here's how I laminate up some brick pattern . . . . . you need a good bandsaw with a resaw blade and quality table fence.
1.   I start with a completely square length of wood stock and cut it in half lengthwise.
2.   I then resaw some thinner contrasting colored wood slabs to be used for the brick pattern. they must be cut the same width as the block slab that was cut in half.
3.   I then glue and clamp the one of the thinner slabs in between the two larger block pieces.
4.   After the wood glue has set up I then turn the glued block and resaw in half again to make a cross pattern and glue and clamp these two half's together.
5.   After the glue has dried make perfectly centered pilot holes at each end, then turn round using some outside calipers making sure it is the same circumference from one end to the other.
6.  Turn another round the same circumference using the same contrasting colored wood that was used for the thinner slabs.
7.   Crosscut both the cross laminated round and the contrasting colored wood rounds to size.  You can make the bricks any width you want, but the thinner contrasting pieces should be the same thickness as the ones used to glue up the crossed glued block.
8.   Now stack some of the cross pattern brick pieces with a thinner slab between each of them to see how you want them glued together.  They can be set in a standard brick layout or staggered.
9.   Apply a thin glue to each side of all pieces, set them together and squeeze out the excess glue.
This will help you align the pattern you want before clamping.  You will have to work quickly as the glue will start to set up.   
10.  You should now have a glued up brick patterned block that can be turned after you carefully bore it through the center.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Jim @ Gabor Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
 :2up:

Offline Truly Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Truly Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
Ron, thanks for the step by step.  Seeing some of these awesome patterns can be intimidating if you don't know where to start.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I really like the colors you used for that too.  :bigup:
Custom Waterfowl, Deer, and Predator Calls
Bring'em with Style
www.trulycustomcalls.com