Author Topic: Reeds, Wood Reed Making?  (Read 5160 times)

Offline tolbndfishin

• New Forum Member
Re: Reeds, Wood Reed Making?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
Yes, length of the toneboard will matter, havent played any with the width.  I've used different tone channel depths with the same width, doesnt change the tone all that much, but does change the volume and amount of air required to make it quack.  The angle and length of the angle itself matter most for sound (easiest way to change the tone, in my experience) and small adjustments can make big changes.  With the LA style, you can test different lengths of toneboard without cutting anything, so if u find one you like, u can still make adjustments then revert back if u dont like the change.  So if you find an angle that gives you a good tone, but it's too raspy, or low pitch, you can shorten it a little, maybe smooth it up that way, and get a little bit higher pitch, or adjust the angle, etcetcetc.  I dont know if i couldve ever made a call quack if i would have tried to make an arkansas from scratch, because i dont know if i wouldve had the patience to keep trying after throwing a few away  lmao.  But now, knowing what i know, i will one day when i want to play around.

Dan
They will be seen.
They will be called.
They will come in.
They will fly away laughing.....

callingthewild

Re: Reeds, Wood Reed Making?
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
Thanks Dan, I'll play around with that this summer,after I'm done guiding my Turkey Hunts, Maybe the thing to do is pick up a Arkansas and a LA, a study the difference, than play with variations from there.
I'm actually more of a Goose hunter than a duck hunter for thats also what I guide in farm fields. Hopefully assuming all this apply to goose calls as well.
What does one of you calls cost, and I'll get one from FDR as well, as study the two.
Thanks as always, Love talking about all of this, Making Box calls right now for a Turkey show the end of the month.