Author Topic: Turtle traps  (Read 5974 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Turtle traps
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »

I have quite a few large snapping turtles that I need to remove from a pond. Has anybody trapped them before? 

I am going to build a trap for them, but wandered if anybody had any tips on trap building or what doesn't work for traps. I've got some ideas in my head for building a trap with PVC framework and chicken wire cage. It will end up looking like a live trap for coons, but wider.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Turtle traps
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
I've trapped them. Build a trap that looks like a giant sized minnow trap. The funnel needs to have an opening of at least 18 inches, 24 inches is better in case there are some jumbo size snappers. You also need a mesh basket to hang in the middle of the trap to hold your bait. Raw red meat works best. Overall trap size should be about as big as a large dog crate, like the size of one you might put a Rottweiler in. The best wire is the 2x4" wire mesh that your local farm supply sells, chicken wire and hardware cloth won't hold up. You can suspend the trap from a dock or just set it on the bottom. This type of trap yielded 6 big snappers totaling 110lbs in two days for me out of the pond I trapped two years ago. The floating type of traps never worked for me for snappers, they can't climb onto them.

Post pictures of what you catch  :bigup:
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline Donnie

• Custom Call Maker
    • http://www.facebook.com/kennedy.penwerks
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
I trap them with a .22   :2up:

Seriously, take a picture of what you come up with... I'm thinking something like a crab trap.

Offline greenwell1978

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
Hey brian i have traped a lot of snappers and I'll try to get a pic of the cage and diamitions as soon as I can. It's very easy and cheap to make. John

Offline Lower Creek Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:32 PM »
Put some set hooks out and bait it with chicken livers or cut up bream.  I do alot of set hooking for catfish and I always catch 3 or 4 turtles a night.  I always just cut the line and let them go but its a sure bet way to catch them.
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls
Author of "Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive"

www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:24 AM »
Make sure you check the regulations in the state where you're trying to get them.  Turtle regulations are WILDLY different from one place to another.

Also, if your reason for turtle removal is to help with fish populations, there's a lot of other things to change before worrying about trying to catch turtles.  If you take some out, more will move it.  They're a lot more mobile than a person would think. 

Providing habitat for the fish to spawn in, and hide in is number one for having a productive pond.....course you didn't like hearing that on pheasants, so you may not like that on fish either.  :D 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »

I've checked the regs and know where I can use the traps. And yes, I agree that the regs vary wildly on using traps for turtles.  I agree on the habitat in the pond, but when you see more than 10 turtles larger than 16" in diameter in a couple acre pond, then I think there is an excessive amount of turtles!

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »

Well, here's what I came up with. It will be a while before I can test it out. But I will post up pics once it gets a workout.

I am still interested in seeing some pics of other types of turtle traps if you have them.

Brian

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
Any luck with the trap yet?
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

Not quite yet. Have seen the turtles in the pond lately. :huh:

Brian

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
The Turtle Man must have come and gotten them all.
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
Mayb you're using the wrong call.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”