Author Topic: centering holes  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Short on Cache

• New Forum Member
centering holes
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
So Ive been making a few goose calls and am using a gutsert from shell creek with a band built on it and have been putting some antler tips and such on them. Heres my issue, they always seem to come out with some part not perfectly aligned. Any suggestions?
People sleep peacably in their beds at noght only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf-George Orwell

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: centering holes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »
I use his gutserts sometimes.  If they're 5/8" ID you can chuck them up on your expanding mandrel after they're glued in to the insert, then turn the insert around them.  I don't do it that way and haven't had trouble, but I'm pre-drilling the blank then turning it on the expanding mandrel, then gluing the gutsert in.  If you're drilling everything on the lathe and you're using the right size of bits it is hard to do it wrong unless something's amiss.

Offline Short on Cache

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
I may have mis spoke, Im actually talking about the part the gutsert goes into. Its 31/32 outer dia and I think 7/8 inner. Its the part that glues in the barrell.
People sleep peacably in their beds at noght only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf-George Orwell

Offline Jon Kennedy Custom Calls

• CCM
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
what i do is if you are stepping you're barrel don't remove it from the lathe, drill press or what ever you are drilling drill all you're steps in the barrel before you remove it, second i install the gut cert in the exhaust end of the call with orings on! slide together and turn it as one Peace, i know what you are talking about when you say it don't line up after drilling the gut sleeve, I drill the biggest hole first the start my stepping and it makes a big difference. Just a heads up! that i found that when i use Alum gut certs and gut sleeves is that when they get warm they expand and will crack barrels!! :stickman1: :stickman1: I have changed delrin or pvc and havent had one crack due to expansion! hope this helps ya out.

Jon
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:14:46 PM by Minnesota »