Author Topic: goose flute question  (Read 6221 times)

Offline RhueTalk

• New Forum Member
    • Rhue Talk Waterfowl Weapons
goose flute question
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
i've been toying around with making a goose call and or flute.

I've the bits to graduate the barrell - question is how long do you make each hole - like is 7/8 an inch, long then do 5/8" an inch, then the rest of the barrell 1/2 "

would it be the same for a regular goose.

i want to make my soon a goose call.

thanks for any help?

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
Re: goose flute question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
That is a very big question, with no one answer. I will say that you want to stop at 5/8. No need to do 1/2. Although I have wondered what that would sound like. The answer to your question is to experiment until you get what works best with your selected gut. Most guys, I would venture, are going to be somewhat gaurded on their inside barrel dimensions, as this seems to affect playability and sound greatly. There are a few threads on here that give good dimensions for use with Wade carpenter's sr-1 gut. My advice would be to make your exaust piece and get the gut you will be using installed. Then get some scrap or cheap wood and start experimenting until you get something you like. I wouldn't worry about finishing or much of a shape. Just focus on sound and playability. I would say it took me about 9 months to dial those inside demensions in to what I wanted out of a call. But, I did not do what I just described. I kept making not so great finished calls with good wood and acrylic. If you do the experimentation method I described, it should save time. I can actually just do the inside dimensions and try it out without turning the blank to shape. Just that should tell you if its good or not. All of this info applies to short reed goose calls. Couldn't tell you about a flute, never turned one and i can't play one. Hope that helps.
Chris Wright

Offline RhueTalk

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
yeah, you're probably right about others not sharing the info and i can understand and respect that.

good advice on everything - don't have to turn it to see how it works.

thanks for your time.

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
Greg,

I will shoot you a PM after work with some pointers to hopefully get you in the right direction.

Corey

Offline RhueTalk

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
Thanks alot Corey.. :punk:

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
There's no big secret to stepping the inside bores of a goose call, but it is different for the different gut systems you use. The 7/8" bore is usually cut about 1/8" to 1/4" longer than the length of your insert tenon, and I bore 3/4" to within 3/4" of the mouthpiece end. This adds internal volume to the barrel, as well as adds the glodo effect (look it up, it's an interesteing read). The 5/8" mouthpiece end allows the user to keep a constant air pressure on the gut, which I think makes it easier to play. You can mess around with the depth of the 3/4" bore to help it fit the gutset, but alot of it is just getting the gutset tuned to where you like the sound.

Hope that helps!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
The flute calls I have made are a straight bore for the long exhaust side and mine are 5/8" dia. due to the guts I use. Mouth piece is 5/8" at the mouth and then 3/4" for the part that goes over the flute barrel.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
Just wanted to add a little to what I said earlier. I was on my phone so I couldnt write too much. Jester is spot on with those dimensions. In addition to that I have found that a stepped barrel from 7/8 to 3/4 to 5/8 will play differently than 7/8 to 5/8. Depending on the gut you may want to use one over the other. I have had the best luck with 7/8 to 5/8 on Wade's SR-1 gut, while another gut from Wade sounds like crap and is harder than heck to blow with this same dimension. For that gut, I use similar to what Jester described. Then there is the question of how long is the 5/8 portion. This will also change the playability of the call. I have found that the closer you get the 5/8 to the tip of the gut the more responsive the call is, but you lose some forgiveness in the break over point. Conversly, the farther away you are allows for more forgiveness but less responsiveness. Then the sound can be affected by how you tune the call along with the length of the call, both insert and barrel. In tunning, the closer to the tip of the reed you place the wedge, the higher pitch the call will be and it may require more shaving. Placing the wedge farther away from the tip will give a lower pitch, but will not handle a lot of shaving. All of these aspects will play a role in the over all sound and playability of the call, at least that's what I have found. That is about all I know on the subject. Beyond that and I am lost. There are a lot of guys on here that are much more knowledgable than I am.
Chris Wright

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
Greg, you still got my number? Give me a call if you need any more help. It looks like the guys have you headed in the right direction. I know Corey will set you up right too.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline RhueTalk

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »
thanks for all the info, guys - y'all are the best.   :bow:.

i know how to tune the reed/gutserts - i was unsure about the dimensions of the graduated barrell - if i did one size too far, etc.

yes John, i have your number.

Again, thanks to all.  i'm hoping to have some turning time saturday and i'm going to start working on one.

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
Greg,

When you get into it more if you have any questions shoot me a PM or give me a call.

Corey