Author Topic: Laminate how to  (Read 2082 times)

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
Laminate how to
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:36 PM »
Hello ya'll any one have a laminated pot call how to for a newb like me i did one im a little afriad to post pics only because my stuff looks like trash compared to ya'lls calls

Thanks
Adam

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Laminate how to
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
Adam it is hard to learn anything and grow as a callmaker without getting feedback on what you do...Both good and bad.  It is all constructive and if you take all of it into consideration and apply it, it will make you a better callmaker.  My suggestion is to post pictures of what you're doing with an open mind and ask folks for honest feedback.  The great thing about THO is if it is awesome we'll tell you, and if it sucks we'll tell you.  But after we make any critical comments we take it one step further and give you ideas on how to improve it.   

I've done a few laminated pots here and there.  I've moved away from it, simply because it was a headache that I didn't get much enjoyment out of.  I respect the heck out of the guys that do it well, as it takes patience and math skills that I don't posess.  My advice is use Titebond II or III or Elmers ProBond (never use CA for laminating work).  Wipe down the surfaces of oily woods with acetone right before gluing.  Use solid clamping pressure but not enough to squeeze all your glue out. 

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »
Post away man.  I have never had one person here make me feel bad for what my calls look like.  They give good constructive advice on how to get to where you want to go with your call making.

And i know exactly how you feel.  I was afraid to post any of my stuff.  But its a journey and is fun to look back and see what your calls started as and how you have progressed

Jason

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Thanks guys ill pull the ole camera out today and post em up

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
He's a few pictures of a couple I did. I used Tightbond 2 works well. When using different colors it becomes real important to find the center of your blank so the strips are not off to one side or the other. You want them to be centered for the best looks.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »
Those are really nice looking calls.  I would be proud as all get out if mine turned out that nice each time.

Offline ADAM PROUTY

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »
Nice calls just breath taking.  Im gonna post pics in the pm tommorow thanks guys for the words of wisdom.