Author Topic: grain filling? Please help!  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Brian @ Wicked Wood Calls

• New Forum Member
grain filling? Please help!
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
So I tried to take my first stab at grain filling today and failed miserably. The wood that im using is spalted maple and has a lot of "pockets", so I was going to use a tung oil finish and try the same method that some of you use with tru oil (apply it thick and begin sanding while keeping the sandpaper wet). The grain didn't fill like i had hoped and ended up with a sticky gummy mess and a lot of clogged up sandpaper. I began sanding with 150 grit. Can someone please help? Will the tung oil not work or am I doing something wrong. I am open to any suggestions just looking for the best and easiest (if there is an easy) way to accomplish a smooth fill.
Brian

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: grain filling? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
I haven't tried grain filling with tung oil but I bet it would work.  Works fine with tru oil.  My advice would be to not use such coarse paper because you won't get the sanding marks out.  Sand it conventionally and do your grain fill once you get to 320.  Slow your lathe down a lot.  You need to keep the paper wet with finish and you will get clogged paper in no time.  That's ok...You're using that goo that clogs the paper to fill the grain.  That's the idea.  After you get it covered in goo, sand it with clean 320 until you've removed the goo from the surface.  It will take a lot of sandpaper.  Then set it aside to dry before coating with finish. 

All that being said, I don't know that you'll have much success doing a grain fill on spalted maple.  It is like a sponge and sucks up the finish.  Plus it is just mighty soft.  My best advice is to shoot it with sanding sealer and then finish it with spar.  Or send it off and having it stabilized before turning it! 

Offline Brian @ Wicked Wood Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »
Thanks kc. What can be used as a sanding sealer? Or is sanding sealer the actual label on the can?
Brian

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
Sanding sealer is actually sold as sanding sealer.  Bullseye is a common brand.  Not always necessary, but on porous woods it'll help your finish.  You can mix shellac and denatured alcohol for a homebrew sanding sealer.  I wouldn't use it under an oil finish like tung or tru oil, but under poly or spar it'll work well.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
ANother thing that will help if you are tring to use the slurry method with a oil finish is to add a touch of Japan Drier to the finish. It will speed the drying process alot and and allow oils like tung and linseed to dry without being sticky.

Good Luck!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....