Author Topic: new tone channel drill bit  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
new tone channel drill bit
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:20:56 AM »
Just thought I'd share something that seems to be working really well for me.  I've always used 1/4" aircraft length jobber-type drill bits for drilling my duck calls' tone channels.  They don't always drill straight, especially if you don't back them out and clear them constantly. 

I was poking around at Woodcraft the other day and found this Colt pen drill in 6mm diameter.  That's pretty darn close to 15/64", which is just 1/64" less than 1/4".  I've been wanting to get a 15/64" bit to try to cut down the air it takes to run my calls and this thing is just the ticket.  Not to mention it clears the chips like crazy and so far is running really, really straight without having to back it out all the time.

Here's a link if anybody's interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Colt-Star-Pen-Makers-Bit/dp/B0035YD8W0

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
Re: new tone channel drill bit
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:59 AM »
KC this might be the answer to my prayers :innocent: I agree with 1/4 being a bit tough on the lungs for some folks and this sounds pretty promising for fixing that problem... do you have to change the depth of the cannel any? ~Andre

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
Its called a Parabolic Drill - at least that fast spiral flute type is called a parabolic drill.  Sometimes they can be found in  "tapered length", as well as plain.
They arent as stiff but they clean better.

That will likely help ya find other sizes more easily.  You can get em up to pretty big too.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
Yup Wade, there's a 1/2" version somewhere that's fixin' to get ordered....It is just what I need for boring out my duck whistles.  The stubby little jobber bits that I use now don't clear chips worth a darn, so they heat the wood up quick no matter how slow I drill.  Not to mention that you have to back out a few times per whistle and clean the flutes. 

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
I hear ya cluckin big chicken!  :D
I smell what yer steppin in :D

That are handy little critters... same with a 19/32 followed up by a 5/8 reamer :D  Just plain ole serious off the hook.  Its money in da bank!  :D

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Jon Kennedy Custom Calls

• CCM
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
15/64 ths works well! thats what I use  :bigup: :bigup: I also have been messing around with tapperd bits!