Author Topic: Few Old Style Grunt Calls  (Read 2624 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Few Old Style Grunt Calls
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
This is what have worked on while waiting for the finish to dry on the varmint calls.  I really prefer to be turning wood than sitting around finishing or waiting for finish to dry.  In 3 days I have turned more calls than I really have wanted to but now that the end is in sight it wasn't as bad as it looks. 

These are like the old deer grunt calls before the plastic tube.  Except this is my version to get the deeper sound that my customers like.  They are a little over 8" long, when adding the stopper and barrel together.  These have the current plastic reeds in them, in what some refer to the good old days we had to make the reeds assemblies ourselves, although in a way I miss doing that but with the current customer attitude of "I want it now" the plastic guts makes it a lot easier.

Marvin

These 3 are maple, finished with wipe on poly.

These 4 are made from the wood I got from Jester357.  The wood is Brazilian Koa, the finish is oil/poly mix, not really what I care for so they may get a few coats of poly on the top. Then these will get a buff and wax to bring out a little shine.   This photo really sucks, I may try this one again later.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Few Old Style Grunt Calls
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:51:30 PM »
Marvin, those look really wonderful. Can you show a picture of one of the calls taken apart so we can see the relationship of the toneboard to the barrel.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Few Old Style Grunt Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »
I will, it will have to be later, wife left with the camera for babysitting duty for the granddaughter.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.