Author Topic: New To Turning Grunt Calls  (Read 9190 times)

bhecho

New To Turning Grunt Calls
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
I am new to turning calls and want to focus on grunt calls to start with.  I have ordered a bunch of equipment including a JET 1014 VS with bed extension, starter tools as recommended by other folks on this site, several finishing materials, drill chuck, call guts from AL and i have already read the book on call making, very informative.  My question is, what type of mandrel do most of you utilize to turn deer grunt calls.  I was looking at the expandable mandrel from WebFoot in both 5/8" and 3/4".  Is this what most of you use for turning deer grunt calls or would i be better off with a pin lock mandrel?  What about if you are turning a stopper with a 1/2" hole which mandrel do you use?  I appreciate any and all help you could provide.  I would also be utilizing these mandrels for duck and goose calls in the near future.

Brad

BLKDOGS

Re: New To Turning Grunt Calls
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
Brad welcome   You will find lots of help from these guys one here and I will try my best to give you some.

I am sure the expandable mandrels from WEBfoot are top notch just like his goose call guts.  Lot of guys use the set from Flinthill duck works but his site is shutdown for some personal issues.   i do beleve you will need a 1/2 in on also for grunt calls. I know I do. so if you can get all 3 sizes you will be ready to turn most any type of call. I use a set i made but it is really time to update. here is a couple of picture of what i use.  good luck. Have Fun and STAY safe!!!

What one of my mandrel looks like

I eboxied a nut in the wood to attache to my head stock

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
You're going to want a 3/4 and a 1/2 for grunt calls more than likely.  A 5/8 won't come in to play with the basic grunt call setup of a 3/4 barrel and a 1/2 insert.

I would suggest getting used to turning wood (cheap wood) into different shapes prior to worrying about buying any mandrels.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
Have you taken a look at the deer call tutorials?  There's probably quite a few tips for you in there too. 

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,111.0.html

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
Welcome to the site.  On the deer grunts I use 1/2" and 3/4" expanding mandrels.  Do not be afraid to buy from Wade, great guy with great products.  If you plan on moving into waterfowl calls you might as well get the 5/8" too.  Although I did start out using homemade mandrels very similar to the ones Blkdogs has pictured.  If I can give you one piece of advice just starting out is take a lot of notes. Everytime you make a change to a call, big or small, just make a note of how it changed the sound.  It will accelerate your learning curve drastically.   Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

Jason

bhecho

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
Parker, thanks for the input.  I visited my local wood supplier this weekend and purchased a bunch of cheap (hard maple, cherry, and ash) blanks to practice on.  Most 6-8" pieces were less than a dollar so i figured they would be cheap to practice on and they are also 3x3 so i can get plenty of practice.  I have reviewed the tutorials and gained a wealth of information.  All input and tips is much appreciated.  Being new to turning I try to digest all tutorials, comments, and pictures i see.  I appreciate all help, tips and info as i get started.

Thanks

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »
YOu may find that if you modify your profile to indicate where you're from, you may find a tuner close by ht will b ewilling o hve you ove o his shop to watch and learn.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

bhecho

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
Updated, thanks Braz!

Bill

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »
I turn all my calls on a 7mm pen mandrel you can get them with the #2 MT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pen-Mandrel-2-1morse-taper-blank-woodturning-lathe-/120861276359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item61cdc3f023

Or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Lathe-Pen-Turning-Mandrel-1-X8tpi-Screw-/120865491374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c242509ae

Either one will fit the jet I believe I make wood stoppers to fit 1/2 5/8 and 3/4 holes with that set up you could turn any thing you pretty much want

Brad Robinson

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »
Ive started turning everything at once with a 3/4 plug in a collet chuck and a 1/2 inch plug with a center hole connected to the tailstock. I glue a  3/4" piece of delrin in to the stopper end for an insert and connect the 2 blanks.I do use expandables once every thing is turned and sanded for bore sanding and finishing.

bhecho

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
I have made several all wood grunts now and am still tweaking thing to the way i like them.  The guys who have tested, heard, and viewed them so far think they are great. How does everyone finish the inside of the barrels?  Currently I am doing a CA finish on the exterior and wrap it into the mouthpiece and exhaust end to make them look nice.  What does everyone do to finish the rest of the interior of the mouthpiece and barrel to seal them and finish them?  I read somewhere to coat the interiors with BLO is this in line with what everyone else does?  Will this create a quality issue?  Any input is much appreciated.

Brad

Offline Mike Perkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
Hey Brad.  I watched Aaron do a tutorial with CA where he used wooden tight weaved Q-Tips to reach up inside a duck barrel.  It worked out great for him.  If you haven't seen that tutorial it's very informative.

Mike
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight