Author Topic: who stabilizes their own wood  (Read 29122 times)

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
Re: who stabilizes their own wood
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »
Let me start this post by admitting my rookie status, OK what is cactus juice? Is it actually tequila? I watched some videos some people seem to be pressurizing the container and some are vaccuming???? Help please?

We were all rookies at one time, Short!  Cactus Juice is a brand of a heat cured stabilizing resin available retail.  From my extensive testing of stabilizing, vacuum does a MUCH better job than pressure, at least the amount of pressure we can achieve in our shops.  Some of the professional stabilizers have equipment to do 5,000 psi of pressure and they get good results but I know for a fact that 70 psi for 24 hours does not do much of anything.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com
MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice stabilizing resin

Offline Short on Cache

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »
Thanks Tex! I thought I was just mistaken about the vacuum/pressure situation. Anybody got a video or tutorial on making a stabilization "vat" or whatever its called?
People sleep peacably in their beds at noght only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf-George Orwell

woodwzrd

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
Here is a link for a pressure chamber that I have been looking at building. Will this work with the cactus juice? Under say 20-25 inches of vaccum will the cactus juice penetrate to the core of a 2x2 blank?

http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/pressurepot.pdf

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »
Here is a link for a pressure chamber that I have been looking at building. Will this work with the cactus juice? Under say 20-25 inches of vaccum will the cactus juice penetrate to the core of a 2x2 blank?

http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/pressurepot.pdf

Depending on your elevation above sea level, 20-25" may not be enough vacuum.  The maximum theoretical vacuum at sea level is 29.92" Hg on a standard atmospheric day. It is not possible to achieve 29.92" Hg at sea level, even in the most perfect laboratory setting.  However, with a good pump and chamber, you can get close, say 29.9" Hg.  For every 1,000 feet above sea level, you loose 1" of potential vacuum.  So, for example, if you are in Denver at 5,000 +/- ft. above sea level, you maximum theoretical vacuum would be 25.92" Hg so a 25" Hg vacuum would be a good vacuum.  Remember, the definition of a perfect vacuum is the absence of all molecules (air).  The more air you can remove from your blank, the more resin you can get into the blank.  Consider that 25" Hg at sea level is only a 83.5%  vacuum(25/29.92), then the most air you will be able to remove from the blank at best is 83.5% of the air.  It will work, it just will not be the best stabilization you can get.

I wrote an article on vacuum and how it relates to stabilizing.  You can find it at www.turntex.com/vacuum
Please be aware this article is on my commercial website.  This is not intended to be an advertisement or an attempt to get people to my website.  It is just easier to link it than to try to copy and past it here since it has pictures included.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

Bucko

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
I find this stabilizing very interesting and welcome TurnTex with his knowledge. This is going to be good as stabilizing is a wide field to learn and the types/sizes of the pumps are another whole animal aside from the juice.

Zumbrocalls

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:06 PM »
Heres what cactus juice can do on 2x2 wood. Just want to say this product works.  Troy [IMG
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:17:46 PM by Zumbrocalls »

Offline daren99

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
  I talked to Curtis on the phone for about an hour today, He answered all my questions and then some, also gave me a ton of information to think about. Actually, I didn't think to long I ordered one of his setups and cactus juice after I got off the phone with him.  :bigup: If you have any questions he's more then happy to answer them and help you out. I'll be calling him again once I get my setup.

Thanks again Curtiss,

Daren

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:11 PM »
  I talked to Curtis on the phone for about an hour today, He answered all my questions and then some, also gave me a ton of information to think about. Actually, I didn't think to long I ordered one of his setups and cactus juice after I got off the phone with him.  :bigup: If you have any questions he's more then happy to answer them and help you out. I'll be calling him again once I get my setup.

Thanks again Curtiss,

Daren

It was a pleasure talking with you today, Daren.  Thank for the order and please, feel free to call again if/when you have questions.

The same applies for anyone else.  I thoroughly enjoy talking with fellow artists and sharing what I know.  I am a night owl so feel free to call until midnight central time!
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
Troy,

Those look ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!  Can I have your permission to include some of the pic in my customer photo gallery.  Please, pretty please!?
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

Zumbrocalls

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
Curtis , you can use any you like . I can send you many more / better pics if you would like some. Troy

Offline KFB Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
TurnTex welcome to the group. Can't wait to learn and try your process.

Tony
KFB Game Calls It's the last thing they'll ever hear... Ka Frickin' Boom!!

Offline Dave @ Hagermans Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »
Does the cactus juice come with the catylist already or do I put it in on the smaller amounts 1/2 gal or less and what is the shelf life, also do you have any idea of how much 1/2 gal will cure if I'm using 2x2x3" blocks ?
2015 NWTF Southeast Call Makers Comp.   
1st. Place Other ( Deer Grunt ).                   
2nd Place Scratch box
4th  Place Trough Call
3rd. Place Push Pin

2016 Southeast Call Makers Comp.
1st Scratch and Push Pin
2nd Scratch Box
3rd Push Pin and Trough Call
4th Trough Call

Zumbrocalls

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
Does the cactus juice come with the catalyst already or do I put it in on the smaller amounts 1/2 gal or less and what is the shelf life, also do you have any idea of how much 1/2 gal will cure if I'm using 2x2x3" blocks ?
    The gallons come with the catalyst ,you have to add that your self.  I have some resin that is 6 months old I just keep adding to it. I find when I do 1 3/4 x1 3/4 x 6" blocks it takes about 7 oz's to stabilize . Hope that helps  Troy     Update  I am running a batch of spalted ash . Blank no 1  was 203 grams before resin after resin 448 grams  change of 245 grams or 8.64 ozs   Blank no 2  was 185 grams before resin  after resin 407 grams change of 222 grams or 7.8 ozs  will let you know what the weight is  after curing  .     Well after the cure the weight of no1 was 429 grams  so the total gain was 226 grams or 8.07 ozs blank no 2  389 grams so the total gain was 204 grams or 7.2 ozs . Hope this helps some.     Troy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:38:44 PM by Zumbrocalls »

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
Does the cactus juice come with the catylist already or do I put it in on the smaller amounts 1/2 gal or less and what is the shelf life, also do you have any idea of how much 1/2 gal will cure if I'm using 2x2x3" blocks ?

I used to ship everything catalyzed but last summer, I ended up shipping a number of very expensive door stops!  Texas temps of 110° plus sitting in a hot truck was not good!  I now ship the gallons un-catalyzed with the catalyst in a separate container.  All sizes less than a gallon are already catalyzed and ready to use.  I have not had any issues with the smaller sizes since there is less mass. 

I guarantee the shelf life for 6 months from the date I ship the resin as long as it is stored at 85° F or less and out of direct sunlight.  Of course there is no way for me to verify that you follow the storage requirements so I depend on your honesty.  If you store it in a refrigerator, it will last MUCH longer.  I don't know how much longer because I have never had anyone, myself included, even keep it around for 6 months!

As for how much is used, I will defer to Troy's post above on that.  I usually do pen blanks.  A 1"x1"x5.25" pen blank will take 1-1.5 ounces of resin typically, depending on the wood.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

Offline Dave @ Hagermans Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
Thanks, great info. Stablizing looks like it might be in my future.
2015 NWTF Southeast Call Makers Comp.   
1st. Place Other ( Deer Grunt ).                   
2nd Place Scratch box
4th  Place Trough Call
3rd. Place Push Pin

2016 Southeast Call Makers Comp.
1st Scratch and Push Pin
2nd Scratch Box
3rd Push Pin and Trough Call
4th Trough Call